So why are there so many people who believe in ghosts, but don't believe in purgatory?

Yes, it's sort of a muck stirring question...but it seems to me that if you believe in one, you'd automatically be inclined to believe in the other. Ghosts being souls who haven't made it to heaven yet, and are still being purified/purged...so they're on earth, and they have some task that needs to be carried out before they can be purged. There are loads of stories about ghosts that haunted someone or some place until some part of their history was given the closure that they needed...

Thoughts?

ladymomtraveler

Asked by ladymomtraveler at 5:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Religious Debate

• People like me do noty think being a ghost has anything to do with heaven/hell. That's why.

Answer by louise2 at 5:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• So then what do ghosts have to do with?
    ladymomtraveler

Comment by ladymomtraveler (original poster) at 5:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• What Zoeyis said. Is how I beleive.

Answer by louise2 at 6:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Zoeyis I like your comment "ghosts, spirits, entities, imho are energy. Passed on people and animals that have gotten lost or haven't moved on to wherever it is we're supposed to go."
    I agree with that. I just also think that they're being purged. It makes sense to me that their energy gets stuck here while it's trying to resolve something from its past....
    Anyway, this topic happens to be extremely interesting to me, and I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone says.

ladymomtraveler

Comment by ladymomtraveler (original poster) at 6:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think it may be because people will see or hear things that they think may be a ghost but I have never seen anyone say they saw they saw or heard something that was indicative of purgatory. Also purgatory as far as I know is a Catholic belief so not sure people who were not rasied Catholic would think of purgatory but even if you were I don't think it is presented as being somewhere accessable from here.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 6:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I don't believe there is a heaven or hell as in a physical place nor do I believe that the higher being is an actual "being" to start with rather energy. As for ghost..I believe it is nothing more than energy that has not found a place to go yet or maybe it has and it is like a recording. I don't know lol. I just know it has nothing to do with what you are asking. On that subject though, if you could say that about another belief you could say it about any.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• my thoughts... I dont believe in either... I dont believe that ghosts are "spirits of dead who are stuck" I think that it is something in disguise to trick, but i wont get into that right now... and I dont believe in purgatory. My Bible doesnt say there is purgatory so i dont believe it.
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 8:40 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I believe it's certain energies that we can sense around us. I don't believe those energies are being kept from going anywhere or going somewhere to be punished. (I don't believe in heaven or hell)
    I definately don't think the two have to go hand in hand as you said.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Purgatory is the condition or process of purification or temporary punishment[1] in which, it is believed, the souls of those who die in a state of grace are made ready for Heaven. [Wikipedia]

Because the idea of purgatory is just ridiculous (no offense to the Catholics here) ... if you die in a state of GRACE, you still aren't good enough to get to Heaven. What?

I have had experience with ghosts/spirits. Some hang around to act as guardians to the living. Some are confused and don't even realize they are dead. There are MANY reasons the spirit can remain on this plain of existence. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Because of many different religious beliefs, there is no way the two can go hand in hand. Purgatory is a Catholic belief, just like Not believing in Hell is a Jehovah Witness's belief.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2011