How would you feel if your 16 yr old boy wore eyeliner?

my son is a great kid. he is very involved in the church, he does not drink or do drugs, but he l ikes that rocker look. Alot of people tell me how can i let him do that, i am not crazy about it but i try to look at it that he isn't out getting in trouble and not partying so i can deal with this.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• It's just a fashion statement. Lots of guys wear it. I'd rather my son do that than drugs. It's his way of having control in his life. I've always heard that kids who are giving control of something simple like this don't rebel with drugs & alcohol. Personally I think if he has the balls to wear it in public then he has great self esteem. That's a good thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It wouldn't bother me, but it would really bother my husband. I think kids should be free to express themselves as they see fit, especially if it's with something as innane as eyeliner.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I totally agree with you. There are worse things that you child could be doing. My son has long hair and when I first let him grow it I got a lot of flake from other parents about it. To me it is just hair and if that is what he likes then so be it.

I think it is great that you allow him to be himself and express himself.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It's just eyeliner. As far as expressions of teenage rebellion go, it's about as safe as it can get.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• That is very normal...... No worries . If he is into rock then you should expect eye liner, black nail polish, chains, piercings, and all of the crazy rock band fans fashion frenzey. It probably is just the start honestly. Just let him be and express him self freely without back lash from his parents or he will rebel and possibly go overboard with wanting to express his choice of fashion. I'm sure the kids he is hanging out with will look just like him. Then as he gets older he will grow out of it and be thankful his parents never pushed him to be what they wanted him to be or look the way they wanted him to look. I dressed crazy as a teenager and it drove my parents up the wall, but I never knew it did until I was an adult. They let me express me and how I thought me should look then. And now as an adult I have never had confidence issues or unable to express myself and will raise my son the same way. I thank them!
    cannotforget

Answer by cannotforget at 8:42 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• it's his form of self expression. Billy Joe Armstrong of Green Day has been wearing eyeliner for 20 years and he's awesome
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My DH wore eyeliner when he was 16. lol I wouldn't mind it- he sounds like a great kid, by the way. Good job, Mama! As long as his grades are up and he's not doing things he shouldn't, he should be free to express himself in this harmless manner. It would be a different story if he were a disrespectful brat that didn't do anything you asked and was always in trouble, though.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I agree with you, he's just expressing himself. There will always be people questioning our choices, but you know, they are OUR children and we know them and love them better than anyone. Pick your battles and this isn't one of them :)
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I'd just be glad he wasn't streatching his earlobes or tattooing himself
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I understand his wanting to wear eyeliner, he just wants to be himself! But kids can be harsh these day, and make fun of him. Just tell himthat, and if he still does it, Good for him! He is a very confident guy.
    mannyperry

Answer by mannyperry at 12:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2011