My daughter over weight help? what a good portion size?

my daughter is in the 90% for her hight and her weight is like 60 pounds they told me that its 20 pounds over weight and i dont think they are taking in how tall she is like 3'4...and only 4.. so she doesnt eat her veggys well just green beans.. she likes those gold fishes for a snack and chocolate milk (wich i know has so much fat parents wont stop buying it) and those flavored capris water pouches wich i know its not water because wwater isnt flavored... BUT I WAS WONDERING what is the right portion what do i look for on the nutrition facts? what should not be on it? should i be looking at calories or carbs.. ????? HELPP

MissLynne01

Asked by MissLynne01 at 8:35 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh boy that's a loaded question with a million answers... honestly they have nutritionists that can be a big help and get rid of the confusion, my parents had to go to one for my brother, she was a big help. I honestly would either do that or go buy a book. Until then somethings that would at least help a little are: only give her water or plain milk, give her some whole wheat/grain crackers instead of the goldfish.... but I'm not really qualified to give you portion sizes or anything.
    cookincat743

Answer by cookincat743 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• ok so are whole wheat goldfish ok.. and i have a nutrition specialist and they only talk about portion sizes for drinks..
    MissLynne01

Comment by MissLynne01 (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• FYI chocolate milk and white milk have the same nutrition value. I would say One scoop from a serving spoon. Like one scoop of potatoes. U should really ask your doctor this question,he/she cann tell u exactly how many calories your child should be getting a day. Is she active? Does she play outside,run around?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• She is so young that it makes it hard. I guess maybe instead of the juice pouches try flavored water or the juice singles that you can put in water. and maybe just some healthier snacks like the goldfish, some granola bars things like that but jsut dont let her over do it. they do have a chocalate milk mix that has less sugar, i think its nesquick. just try healthier foods. I dont believe you should have her on a diet just healthier foods for her and maybe get her outside since its starting to get nice again. If you like walking how about taking her with, at 4 she probally wont go far but it might help.
    Good luck!!!
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The rule for portion size is, one tablespoon per year of age of two foods. Look for calories from fat, sugars, sodium, fiber content and overall food value, such as vitamins and minerals. In general, you should avoid processed snack foods like the Goldfish and chocolate milk altogether, and provide all-natural things like raisins or apple slice, whole-grain breads and vegetables. It's a general rule that a child will need to try new foods up to 10 times before they get used to them, so just keep on encouraging her to try things in a positive way. Also, lots of children respond positively to explanations of how foods work in the body to provide energy and nutrients.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:51 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• read the packages of food you give her it will tell you a serving size of 3oz is 160 calories (example).OR go online and search it up, but also remember you need to know how many calories, carbs, protein, fat should be in your DD diet, Cookin is right you should see a nutrititionists to find out exactly, or talk to her Dr for a sample diet plan. I know the juice is suppose to be 6 ozs a day, while kids are use to drinking all the time I delute my DS with water. capri suns are tons of empty calories. another thing how much physical activity does she do? as long as she is healthy increasing physical activity will help too, I suggest walks, and dancing something you both can do together... GL
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 8:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• if it was me I would put her in a active movement type class that she will enjoy. make her drink more water and snack onstly mostly fruits verses processes foods....you can put her height and weight in a pediatric BMI online and see what it syas...my kids tend to be bigger but also taller so they are not overweight. I give my kids choc milkevery morning but thats it...its ok but no kid needs milk all day.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• She'll be fine. Kids need fat but don't over do it. Just have her go outside and be active. She'll lose her baby fat when she gets older.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• She will probably balance out as she keeps getting older. Just be sure you keep her active and watcher her portion sizes and snacks!
    Mommyto2LilMen

Answer by Mommyto2LilMen at 2:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• She doesn't need milk, she only needs water.
    The store bought goldfish cracker are empty calories, and pretty unhealthy. I have a great recipe for homemade one.

Meals and snacks should be built around vegetables, whole grains, fruits and legumes.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2011