My daughter was talking to me last night(not sure where to put this except under age) adult content

My ten year old was talking to me. she was telling me mom this girl has no friends except me. I was like ok. she says mom she is stabbing herself with pencils and tries to cut her pinkie finger off with her scissors and says she wants to die. I asked has anyone else seen her do it? she said just one other girl but i am afraid that girl will not say anything. she does it in class and the teacher is helping students so they do not see it. then they have a skeleton in class she calls it Jerry and says it is her boyfriend ( i figure that one there is a joke the little girl tells) until my daughter says the other girl says it wants to kill her. I know i have to handle to this delicately but how do you approach the school and tell them your concerned that this little girl will hurt herself. This bothers me so much. I would want someone to help my daughter if she were in this situation. I just wish she would of told me sooner. I do know i told my daughter if she sees it again and she sees actual marks on the girl to tell her counselors away from the girl so someone can check the little girl and the school can go from there. but as a parent i know i have to speak up.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Please be concerned my DD was suicidal from bout 10-15, everyone knew but no one said anything till I found her hanging in her closet(luckily she just passed out and counseling has helped), this girl is reaching out and from everything you have said I would say she was bipolar and suicidal. PLEASE find her parents or go to the school and talk to them and keep talking till someone Hears you and gets this girl HELP! your DD came to you because she doesnt know what to do, and if nothing is done and this girl really hurts herself she your DD will have problems from it too... GL
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 9:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think I would have to go to the counselor with my DD so we could talk to the counselor together. Just tell her your concerns- they are trained to handle things like this. Or you could talk to the teacher, but that may not be the best course of action, as she may get defensive. Good luck, and I hope you are able to help this poor little girl.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:49 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yes,u really need to tell the school as soon as possible. Go to the teacher.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:51 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• what about talking to the girls parents?
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I would go see or call the school counselor and let them know what your DD said. It could be that the school is already aware, but better to be safe than sorry. There is no need to involve your daughter, other than to let her know you will try to help her friend.

One of my DS's friends was being abused by his father, he came to my home one morning in tears (he was 13 - very strange for a teenage boy.) My DS asked me not to say anything to the school, but I had to. The counselor was really nice, and took the boy aside to talk to him that very day. (She was already aware that there were issues, although the boy didn't know she did)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I do not know the girls parents and sometimes the parents do not want to believe something like this. it is really sad to.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2011