This is a Step in the Right Direction!

Link

"Intel Corp Chief Executive Paul Otellini will be named to a panel of experts advising President Barack Obama on jobs, the White House said on Friday."

Paul Otellini is a well respected business man, but even more exciting is that this new advisory board replaces the one created in 2009 by Obama - that economic advisory board was comprised largely by people in academia rather than the business community.

I have my fingers crossed that this board (led by General Electric Co Chief Executive Jeffrey Immelt) will actually be heard by the administration.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 9:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Intel is pushing for free trade agreements in Korea. hmmmm???
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• well it sure does help to have a panel of business people they are the ones that create jobs, the acedimic world on teach business and the theory of it.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I have my fingers crossed that this board (led by General Electric Co Chief Executive Jeffrey Immelt) will actually be heard by the administration.

The people still owne GE. I don't understand why Immelt is even on the board. He isn't the greatest of business men. But, we already have the US Chamber of Commerce. This is a very large board that can tell PBO so much about business. Why doesn't he want to listen to them. He has to appoint a board of mostly progressives. It is a waste of time and political favors. More flexing and no doing. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• You mean good like this?

General Electric Co Chief Executive Jeffrey Immelt was named last month to lead the new outside board advising the White House on economic policy. Other members of the Council will be named in the coming weeks, the White House said.

You are joking right? This is not GOOD, it's is horrible. These big businesses have been given favors by the Obama administration. GE helped pay for Obamas election campaign and were given a bailout as a payback. They always want to talk about Bush and his big business friends, I don't trust any of them any farther than I can throw them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• IDK, I guess I will wait and see. I don't like the connection between Obama and Immelt, but only time will tell. If he staffs his board with other bailout receivers then it will be obvious that there was never any real intention to do anything about jobs (I have a feeling this is the case). I just don't have any confidence in this administration or Obama. His lack of experience and decision making before he was elected was a big concern of mine and only one of the reasons I would never have voted for him (besides the fact that he doesn't represent any of my ideals).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• that there was never any real intention to do anything about jobs (I have a feeling this is the case).
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Hopefully he'll actually LISTEN to this advisor!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I guess I didn't really complete my thoughts on this; I think that getting help from the corporate community is a good step. Of COURSE there are special interests involved, there were in the previous group comprised of folks from academia. No one does anything in politics without an agenda. The people Obama is getting for this board are proven, successful businessmen - regardless of whether you agree with their methods, they are leaders. I like that business is getting a voice in directing policy rather than through lobbyists. Whether they will be heard is a whole different question, but this is one thing Obama has done that I support. We have a global economy to navigate - we need to figure out how to be successful within the new paradigms, not digging in our heels about "losing American jobs." I see America doing less manufacturing and more technical/research going forward. Not less jobs, different jobs.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2011