Do you give your kids thier ADHD med when there is not school?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It just depends on the child and the symptoms your child has. Some children need them to focus and concentrate in school. Attention, the type of sustained attention required at school in a highly structured environment, may only be needed for the child when applying it to their academic studies. At home it is more relaxed and sustained mental concentration may not be an absolute requirement. On the other hand, some children living with ADHD are really impulsive and without medication have no filter to think about climbing on top of the house, jumping down a flight of stairs, or starting that fire in the back yard (it seemed like a good idea in the moment). So for those living with extreme impulsivity....perhaps on weekends and during school breaks - it is truly important to take it. There are several different types of ADHD: hyperactive, impulsive, inattentive, and combinations of those.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yes, it's not healthy in take it inconsistently. Luckily it doesn't affect his mood or personality at all so I've never even though twice about it. He also takes it in the summer.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• No the doctor said not to so we don't

Answer by admckenzie at 9:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I didnt give them meds until they absolutely needed them in school. Once we got to that level is was necessary for them to be on them long term and not be taken off even in the summer time. So yes.

Answer by gemgem at 9:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• no. His pediatrician has told me the meds aren't neccessary in the summer either.
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• when i was on ADHD medicine i took it all the time just to keep it in my body and my ADHD wouldnt get out of control. the dr would say it was okay for my parents to give it to me like that.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 10:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If they dont take it on a daily basis, then they dont have the consistancy of having normal mood swings and they bounce all over the place.
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 12:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yes, my daughter receives her meds year round. The only thing we don't give on weekends or vacations is Melatonin.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 2:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My kids take their meds all year long, whether there is school or not. Only if they are really sick then they don't have to take it. They notice the difference between being on meds or not. My son, especially would be off the wall.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• When my youngest was on them(a couple of years ago) it was only for school.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2011