• In the Spotlight:

Am I the only one who is annoyed when people say they are engaged or call their SO "fiance" when they don't have a wedding date set? Isn't all the fun of being engaged is counting down to that date? It's like being pregnant without a due date. Who does that?

I understand you want to prove to the world that he wants to marry you. But wait until you have a date. Trust me, it becomes A LOT more fun then.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• You would not believe the people that call to rent houses. They all fiances. Right!!!!
    Fiance has become a word to legitimize their relationship.
    It takes away from the people that actually are fiances.
    The word has become a joke.
    Sad but true.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• So, if someone asks you to marry them, you need to have a date set right away or you shouldn't call them your fiance?

Sorry, I disagree. My DH asked me to marry him in April. We talked about what time of year we wanted, the location we wanted, etc. It took us a few months to talk about all the details of what we both wanted and we had to communicate with the location we wanted to see what days were available. We were making plans, even when a date wasn't quite set. He was my fiance-set date or not.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Nope. it doesn't bother me. I only look at them weird if they have a different "fiancee" every other month.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I don't really understand why this would bother you. I don't think you have to have a date set when you get engaged or even right after you get engaged. You can still start looking for dress and that sort of thing. My brother got engaged a few months ago and they haven't set a date yet. They have some dates in mind, although our grandfather is sick so that might change what they do.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think there are much better things to be annoyed about.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• After then is when you should have announced your engagement.
    __________________

So, should I have not worn the ring?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Its not their not having a date that annoys me...there are a lot of factors that can be in play in choosing a date. Its when they aren't even "officially" engaged (meaning no question has been popped) that they walk around calling each other fiancee etc.
    KWnavywife

Answer by KWnavywife at 10:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I dissagree, I believe that If someone asks you to marry them and you get a ring then you have everyright to call them your fiance. I think that setting the date is part of planning the wedding, not part of the engagement. My husband and I got engaged in aug 08 but didnt set a date until dec 08, and If I waited until then to tell my friends and family that we were enaged they probably be upset and wonder why I didnt tell them sooner.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• the wedding date being set does not make the engagement official.

the moment he asks and you say yes, the engagement is official. regardless of a ring, a wedding date, etc. if he asks and you accept, you are ENGAGED. and free to call eachother fiance.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• No, I don't. You don't always have a date set the moment you get engaged. The person is still your fiance.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2011