The unions are too powerful?

Really?

Unions used to represent 35 percent of the workers in our country

They now only represent 7 percent.

They are not responsible for the financial issues our states are facing (and WI is a perfect example).

Let's be real, republicans have demonized them because they rep the worker and not the CEO. So in what way are they too powerful?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well in WI teachers can cause sick outs denying kids their educations, causing parents to miss work or pay money for child care that, they may not have so they can keep their jobs, violate their labor contracts and still have a job in the morning........ That to me is to much power.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I dont have a problem with Unions if they are not mandatory and right now most of the time if a job you get is Unionized you have to pay dues. They deduct it from your pay. How is that fair to someone who may not want to be part of it? Second, the People have spoken in WI and they voted this guy into office to do what he is doing. Is it right that this minority which you have stated yourself (7% of workers) should try and bully their way over the will of the People who voted and wanted this and a balanced budget? What about the kids being denied an education? Frankly, whatever positive I thought about Unions before has gone out the window seeing how they are reacting right now.

Answer by gemgem at 9:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Charis

Becauise their protections are being threatened.

Protest is now bad? Where were you during the town hall meetings?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yeah Sweet, too much power where they have it. You don't see this? Cities and states are broke because of the huge amounts of money they have to give out to teachers and their state workers. They have pensions that are almost fully funded for them, excellent medical that is mostly paid for while working AND after. That's in addition to their medicare they can take.
    . Who these days even gets a pension anymore? You are lucky to get a 3% match on your 401k these days. The regular guy has to pay in way more to a 401k if they want to have money when they retire. Now days you are lucky to even get medical when you retire.
    Yes, they have to much power. A good number of the jobs these people do are substandard anyway. They don't deserve the extra perks.
    How about when you do an excellent job you get a bonus? P pay is done everywhere in all kinds of industries and jobs. It it a great incentive.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• You know what Sweet what Walker was planning on doing wasn't a suprise from the moment he was elected he said this was what he was going to do. If they want to protest thats fine but do it on your time not on my kids or mine. They had months to protest doing it in violation of their labor contracts is not ok. If they don't want to abide by their agreements why should they get protection from the same agreements?

What town hall meetings are you refering to?
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The amount they are being asked to contribute is still less than the average for non union workers. States need to make cuts where they can find them because Obamacare and the medicaid situation is a major red herring, looming in all states. The corporate tax breaks are likely going to draw business to Wisconsin. Michigan has done the same thing in special circumstances even under Granholm, to keep business in Michigan.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• You must be off researching so you can seem all knowing I still am trying to figure out what I was doing during town hall meetings have to do with why I said unions are too powerful.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think the idea of unions is great. In fact, if unions could be reasonable I would like to see more of them. But unions are no longer concerned with the workers. They are concerned with themselves, and they use the workers. They are willing to have huge layoffs rather than accept reasonable changes to their contracts in order that more workers can keep their jobs.  They bankruptcompanies that employ their workers with ridiculous demands, thereby putting all their workers at risk of losing their positions. These things don't support the worker. They endanger the worker. Unions are supposed to be collective bargaining organizations that give the worker power not to be taken advantage of. But they have become bullies who don't realize that win-win bargaining is better for the worker.

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• When someone who has only 7% of the workforce still wields the same power (and more) than back when they represented over a third, yes, they are obviously too powerful. They aren't there for the worker anymore, they are there to justify the dues the worker pays so the union employees can keep their VERY cushy jobs. They are no different than any other Washington lobby group - they exist to be self-sustaining. Socialism is dead, the unions just haven't figured it out yet.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• (and I should mention, I'm half-awake and waiting on the coffee - I read this as "the unicorns are too powerful" and was sorely disappointed when I opened it and saw what it really said)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2011