Baby/breastfeeding after breast reduction? (TMI) adult content

Hi ladies,

In 2005 I had a breast reduction. While it was technically elective, it didn't feel that way to me. I had allot of back problems and my spine had degenerated to where at 25 years old my x-rays looked like those of a 70 year old according to the radiologist. I went from so large I had to special order my bras (a 38J) to a relatively small 38B/C. It was pretty major.

There is a special kind of B/R where they are able to save the ability to breastfeed - but normally they can't do that on women who had as much removed as me. My doctor tried, and told me that we won't really know if he succeeded until I have a baby.

Six years later I am pregnant! I am really worried about this, and my old doctor is no longer around to call and ask these questions. Of course I will bring it up with OBGYN (3/11 is my first appt), but I really want to know from women who have been through this.

I am pretty sure the right side will be OK, and also pretty sure the left side won't work because of necrosis complications after the surgery. I'm worried that choosing the BF with the right side is going to be excruciatingly painful on the left... On the other hand I really want the chance to BF the baby.

Were you able to breastfeed?
If not, did you take the pills to dry up your milk?
If you didn't take the pills how bad did it hurt?

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• heres a bump and a site http://www.bfar.org/reduction.shtml you can always join Breastfeeding Moms group to see if they have

Gen

Answer by Gen at 10:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Thanks Gen!
    angelm523

Comment by angelm523 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• :) np hope you find the answers you need
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 10:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I am a brestfeeding counselor. I know lots of women who have sussesfully bfed after surgury. One mom who has a mastectomy on her right, exclusively bfed her baby on one breast.

Pretty much all u can do is wait till baby is here and work closely with an lactation consultant.

Email me if u have any q's
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I had the surgery done is 1992 so the techniques have changed. That said, my breasts produced milk but only about 1/4 of the milk was able to find its way out of the breast. I pumped as much as possible for about 3 weeks before it was not worth the effort. Actual breastfeeding was a problem - my daughter's latch wasn't good and I had blanching which is severely painful. Most of my milk dried up on its own about 4 days post-birth and it was a difficult 36 hours or so. No pills were necessary though and I wouldn't have taken them if they'd been offered.

All you can do is try. There is no way to predict how much you will be able to produce nor if it has the means to get to the nipple. If we are fortunate enough to have another child, I will absolutely try again because of the benefits of breastmilk. Best of luck to you! ;)
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2011