To those that had to be induced

hi. i am 39 weeks pregnant and feeling very sick. for the past week i've been having lots of contractions,some of them were really bad,some of them mild,but it's ok,they got stronger but not closer to each other. The problem is that i've been 2 cm and 50% effaced for 5 weeks now and i am not really progressing. The babie's head is very low,which is very good,but she is pressing on my nerve on my left side and the pain is just awful,nothing comparible to contractions. Whatever i do,does not help the pain to go away.I've been very noaseated too and started throwing up again and feeling sick,pooping a lot,everything is pointing that the labour is coming very soon,but nothing is happenning.
My question is about induction. I had to be induced the first time,only because i had high blood pressure in the end of my pregnancy.

Because she is pooshing on my nerve and i can't carry her anymore and she is actually already 8.5 pounds, i was thinking about induction.
With my first one,everything went very well,but after i had her,she had fluid in her lungs and had to stay in the NICU. I am wondering if induction did that,or it just happened.
I do not want to be induced this time,but i am thinking if i am not dilating more and not progressing,i will probably be carrying her 41 or 42 weeks and later on,will have to be induced anyway.
How safe is it?Have you had any problems with your baby if you had to be induced? I am scared,i don't want her to end up in the NICU as well. What should i do? i really need your help. My next app is in two days and my doc keeps asking me about inducing me.

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• my last two girls were inductions and nothing went wrong. Just a normal birth and came out just fine. Now my first which was a normal delivery and she had problems. Just the way mother nature goes and can not control it. You will be fine and things go right nothing should go wrong.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I was induced for no reason, but my doctor made me more favorable for induction the night before (which a lot of doctors DON'T do and that's how some inductions end up in a C-section). Everything went GREAT, and fast! They started the Pitocin at 6am, I started pushing at 11 45am, and the most healthy and beautiful Baby graced the world with His Presence at 12 11pm. It was INCREDIBLE! I was nicknamed "the baby machine" not only at the hospital, but my OB's office, too. hehe! I had a perfect Pregnancy and a perfect Birth..but then again, I do have THE perfect Child. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i have been induced 4 times. all times went great, no problems. on my first, he was induced because he was almost 2 weeks late. then next 2 were induced too keep them from getting too big. (baby #1 actually had scrape marks on his head from where he almost did not fit!) baby number 3, i started contracting after a dr appoinment, and made the mistake of getting stadol in L and D after being admitted. so the contractions stopped. the next morning, doc said, since you are here, let's have a baby! works for me! LOL!! i have heard that the labor pains are worse when you are induced, but i don't know since A) i have never had a full uninduced labor, and B) i am all about that epi!! oh, and one big plus with the first three that really were planned inductions, we were able to make arrangements and have stuff taken care of in advance! :)
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 11:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I was induced with both of my children and nothing went wrong and they are both perfectly healthy! Good luck!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I was induced at 39 weeks because I had toxemia. My OB stripped my membranes in the office & that started mild contractions. I got the pitocin at about 4 PM & my son was born about 3 hours later. He was perfectly healthy, no problems at all.

Good luck with your delivery!!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i was induced with my oldest. it went perfectly normal. i honestly dont know if the fluid in the lungs was caused by your induction, but dont be afraid of it. not all inductions are the same. i would talk to your doctor about it and see what they say
    teastin14

Answer by teastin14 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My daughter was was induced at 40 weeks. I was gestationally diabetic and the doctors wanted her out. She was 8 lb 8 oz. In my family subsiquent kids are progressively larger. I told my doctor that I was not going to push out a 10 lb. baby. My son was induced at 38 weeks. They did an amnio to see if the lungs were already developed. They were and I went in the hospital that night for induction. I was on pitocin for 4 days before he came out. He weighed 8lb 9 oz. at 38 weeks. If he stayed for the extra 2 weeks he would have been over 10 lb. It's your body. Unless the baby needs to be in longer to "cook" tell your doctor you want to induce. The other thing I did during both pregnancies was spend a lot of time in a pool. Your belly floats and it takes the pressure off your back and bladder. See if you can use the local Y. As you get out of the pool you can make some small adjustments to baby to get off nerves.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Avoiding unnecessary interventions is safest for you and your baby.

If your baby is safer inside than out then it may be the priority to work for comfort and support to cope and get through, remaining as patient as possible.

Her size, her position, contractions, gestation, etc are not a problem as a reason for induction, you can make them the "reason" if you like, but would more likely be a convenience induction.

It is for you to decide and weigh the risks, choosing what you want for yourself & your baby.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2011