Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

To buy or not buy?

my husband and I owe two vechiles, a 2001 dodge caravan, and a 2001 chevy prizm. We don't owe any payments (would hope not on cars that
we were thinking of getting a 2010 or newer this spring time, but we decided we may just wait.
We half enough to pay half cash (save $300 a week), if we waited to next year we may beable to buy ALL cash!. I really don't want to give the banks extra money.
So since both cars work, aren't rusted out, and good on gas. Do you think we would be smarter to just wait it out?
also we were going with a SUV but I think I want a 4wd van instead, input on those too pls. Thanks


Asked by r00j04j08 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

Level 16 (3,000 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • My husband and I have a car dealership. Cars are more expensive in the spring. The best deals are just before Christmas. If your cars are running ok, keep them until next fall. Chevy prism has a corolla motor, great running car. The caravan on the other hand, they are known for a lot of problems, since you had the caravan that many years, you probably replaced everything that could go wrong,lol!


    Answer by Linda1012 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • Since you don't want a loan and can save up the cash, it's a good idea to wait.

    Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • I would wait. If both vehicles are paid for and good on gas your in a good spot! Save that money that you would be spending on a new car and like you said you'll be able to pay for it with cash and avoid interest and save on insurance as well. I would check on the gas mileage between the two. SUV's don't have the best gas mileage and are a bit more expensive for parts. Maybe even look at the pros and cons of the different makes of vehicles. I know Saturns for example are very expensive to get parts for as well as Fords. I believe both of those companies ask that you get the majority of the parts from the dealerships.


    Answer by csmsand at 11:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • i say wait it out

    Answer by Asmash at 11:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • definately wait it out! if you can pay cash in a year, why not?! it always feels better to dole out cash, than be chained to a car note! yea for being debt free! ;o)

    Answer by liteofmine71 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • That is what we are thinking too. We aren't those type of people that need to keep up with what everyone else has..

    Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • does anyone have a 4wd van? and if so who makes it.. Thanks

    Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • nope we haven't had any problems with the caravan. until NOW it is currently in the shop cause it wouldn't start (fuel pump??) but turning over

    Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • if both cars are running properly and everything then I'd keep my husband says if it ain't broke don't fix it!

    Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • Very smart to wait it out. Pay cash, no payments and no interest! What's one more year anyway!

    Answer by Momxoxoxo at 2:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2011