Question about breastfeeding! =)

Well I breastfeed my newborn Anderz, and I now have scabs on my nipples. They don't hurt, BFing doesn't even hurt anymore, but I was wondering if the scabs are bad for Anderz? Or if they start to bleed if they'll be bad for him.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 6:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cabbage leaves can affect your milk supply, they are best used for mastitis or clogged milk duct :) For scabs on nipples, rub breastmilk on nipples when done breastfeeding and let air dry for 10 minutes. Also, try to not have your nipples in a moist environment as much as possible. In other words, let it all hang out, lol.
    Hope they feel better soon. PM me any time, hon.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Nah, and they will go away soon. That happened with both my kids
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 6:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• are you using lanolin? That stuff made my nipples crack. It's connected w/ and allergy to wool.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• With my first son I had cracked nipples and my mom and MIL told me to use some cream called Utter Cream, It comes in a tube that has spots on it like cow spots. That stuff is awesome and it isn't perfumey so the baby won't have a problem with it. Cracked Nipples are one of the joys of breastfeeding. The more they nurse the more you can crack.

Also it is possible you could have a yeast infection. {BUT I doubt it since they aren't sore and hurt} So just keep the girls dry. You can also get nursing pads to use. They absorb any extra moisture and will keep the cream or anything you decide to use coated on the nursing pad. SO they are a plus...
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 6:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• They COULD start to bleed. Try putting a little breastmilk on them. It'll help them heal.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• No tea bags!!! Moist tea bags applied to the nipples are a folk remedy that recent research has shown to have an astringent effect that may promote drying and cracking, and is therefore not advised.

Make sure you are getting a really good deep latch.

Pure lanolin (like Lansinoh) or breastmilk only. The scabs will not harm our baby in any way, and if they bleed that won't hurt baby either. Hang in there, they should heal pretty quickly.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• If it's not hurting when he latches on anymore then don't worry about it. I would use a drop of breast milk on it to help it heal. That's what worked for me. That also happened both times for me.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 8:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• No pain is a good sign. Scabs or blood will not hurt your baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Aww you poor thing! I'm glad you resolved whatever caused the scabs though. As others have already said, it wont hurt him one bit. When I was nursing my daughter, my mom told me about a time when I spit up blood stained milk at a pediatrician's appointment, and the Dr was concerned until she told him it was HER blood, not mine.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Nope. It's normal, and they'll go away in time.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2008