SShould I admit erotic transference to my therapist?

Is there any way it would bemefit therapy or is it better kept to muself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Health

• I think it would be a good thing to bring up. It might help you to work through stuff.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I don't keep secrets from my therapist. That would be counterproductive imho

Answer by admckenzie at 11:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It depends on the ideology that your therapist works through. This is well talked about in the training of the therapist, and is very, very normal if the therapist happens to be the gender/sex that you are attracted to. It happens only because you feel a sense of closeness from being able to open up to someone and be heard. So many of us are not able to do that in our regular relationships. SO, you interpret that closeness as sexual attraction.
    Just make sure that you know that "Professional Therapy NEVER includes Sex". This is for your protection. If your therpaist is innapropriate, sexually leading, or makes a pass at you, you should terminate therapy and call the licensing board. This is never okay and undermines the work that you are doing. And for all those wondering, yes. It happens more than you would think.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think you should tell the therapist.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2011