Do you still hear churchbells in your town?

This is kind of a s/o of Sab's question about the ginormous cross. I know more and more towns have banned them because of the noise. A few days ago I was out running errands and heard them from one of the churches in another part of town. It occurred to me that as long as we've lived in this house, I've never once heard them here (nearly 10 years). We have 5 within a mile of our house. I can't think of a single time when I was working downtown that I noticed them there, either, and we worked in an older building where the windows could be opened all day.

I was trying to find details on our area banning them, and it looks like they were swept up when they decided to ban train whistles at 2 in the morning - the same ordinance seems to have banned everything else louder than a car muffler with it.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Most of the churches around here are refurbished businesses that were boiught, so most don't have bells on them anyways. Those that do you can only hear on Sunday
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Nope ... but I'd love to hear them.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I can hear them and they sound lovely...except when they wake me up in the summer. ;) My friend is a minister and she took me on a tour of her church which is more than 175 years old. There is a bell tower but no bell. She said the city wouldn't grant them allowance for one since there were already too many in town. Silly, isn't it? Up at the seminary at my university here in town, they actually play the bells at certain times of the week. It's beautiful. :)
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 12:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• occasionally i hear them. just the other day as a matter of fact...but it is in the older part of town. i wish to hear them more...especially over a train, airplane, traffic, helicopter, ect...
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yes we do. It's so nice to hear them. One church near my house plays them every hour. It's a nice way to wake up.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• During the December holiday season, there is a methodist church that has a bell organ and it plays christmas carols. But no. Most of the churches here in my town--even the older ones--don't have bells, either because that is the way they were built or because the bells were destroyed. The local museum tells me that many church bells were melted down for munitions and such during WWII. One that was saved from an old schoolhouse resides in the museum and still rings. But not often.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I still hear them here especially when I'm downtown. And that rings every 15 minutes.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 12:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• In my suburb no I don't hear them.....in my parents suburb there is a church right on their street that still rings it's original bell at noon and 6pm everyday, it's beautiful
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yep every week, although I live in a small town. When I lived in the city I never heard them but most of the churches there were newer and didn't have bells on them.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• We hear them once in a while in the summer when the windows are all open. It's only on Sunday mornings, but I think they are beautiful. I can't sleep past 7 am anyway, so they don't wake me when I do hear them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011