This is a worthy question and I feel it needs answering...

Another CM member asked this question and it kind of got glossed over, so how about it ladies...
what happens to the poor kids that don't get their free breakfasts and lunches while the teachers strike (over a new law, mind you, not contract negotiations or anything like that).

Is someone running around with sack lunches to make sure those babies don't go hungry? What about the poor families whose budget is already stretched to the breaking point having to feed their kids six extra meals this week?

Does this matter at all? Or is the teacher's right to bargain for the highest raise they want most important? The law simply states that anything over 1.8 percent would have to go to a vote. NOT that they can't have a union rep. This is a spin off from another question.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm still wondering how many parents are at risk of losing their jobs are did lose their jobs because that one last instance of trying to source emergency daycare was the final straw for their employer after all the snow days they've already had in the last 2 months.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

Another sparkling example of repercussions.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Hopefully, there would be a school worker who care enough about the kids to make and provide those lunches, Often, the classified employees who work in the cafeteria and nutrition section of the school do not strike. They, more than anyone, know how this would affect the children.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yeah, I was wondering about those parents stuck with no child-care for 3 days while their teaches abandoned their jobs. That really just sickens me.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• As much as I think it robs the children of an education, I DO support teachers in most of their strikes. They are overworked, underpaid and under appreciated educators. Because they don't have the resources needed to provide and enriching classroom environment our children, our future, are falling further and further behind in the global market. It's a downward, self perpetuating, spiral.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I wondered that too NP. But they're not in a union, so......
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 12:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think teacher's unions have lost their usefulness. If you are a bad teacher-you should not be protected by tenure. If the economy sucks-you should not get a raise (the rest of the world isn't). If the cost of insurance goes us--so should your premiums. All of this happens to the rest of the world, why not to teachers?
    Oh, and I am a teacher. I just work for a private school so I don't have to put up with the union crap.

But as for those kids--it's not just the breakfast, some of them might not be getting lunch during the day either. I guess that is the purpose of the strikes though--to cause a hardship so the the school board gives in.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• lovingangels, I have a problem with people assuming that 'poor' kids don't get food. Most of these kids receive food stamps. They have plenty of food at home. Plus, most of these kids have money. There is a kid at our school who charged $12 of extra food (the lunchroom staff can't refuse to 'charge' his extra.) He hasn't turned in his lunch form for free or reduced because he forgets, so he doesn't get lunch like the rest. They give him a cheese sandwich, and apple and a cookie absolutely free which he throws away because he says it is just cheese. He was at school yesterday with $75 in his pocket. I told him to pay his bill and buy some lunch (his mom works). He refused. Lunch is suppose to be free. These children ate exactly what they eat on the weekend and during the summer - the food they buy with food stamps. No one went hungry.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The daycare issue was a bigger concern of mine than the lunches. Also, the missed instruction.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I don't think the whole situation is doing the unions a favor. The majority do not support them. Republicans were elected for a reason and this is just proving that reason.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2011