Brown blood? adult content

this morning i used the bathroom and when i wiped i saw some pink, so i thought i was starting my period a bit early and just put a tampon in. i just used the bathroom again and the tampon had a tiny bit of red blood and mostly brown stuff.. im guessing it was blood. i've never had this happen before and i'm just wondering if its normal, or safe? and should i call a doctor?

emmalouwho

Asked by emmalouwho at 11:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Health

• Are you trying to get pregnant? it could be implantation bleeding.

Answer by older at 11:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Could just be spotting. Sometimes it takes longer for the blood to come out than other times, which means it has had time to turn brown. I wouldn't worry too much.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2011

• as much as id like to be trying for another baby.. its just not in the cards right now. i have the mirena iud.. so i dont think it could be implantation bleeding.
    emmalouwho

Comment by emmalouwho (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i never thought that it could have just been blood that took a bit longer to come out. that makes a lot of sense. i just saw it and panicked!! lol
    emmalouwho

Comment by emmalouwho (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I get that a lot. Nothing to worry about. Musicpisces is correct, sometimes it just takes a bit to come out and it turns brown.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Mirena can cause spotting. I know I get it sometimes, particularly after sex.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The above posters are correct. My last period was like that too and early. Fresh blood is red, older blood is brown.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Well even with an IUD pregnancy is possible, if the bleeding pretty much stopped I would still call a doctor just in case, an IUD can be dangerous for the embryo, if that is in fact the case. Each year a couple who uses an IUD for birth control has a 1 in 125 chance of getting pregnant with it!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i have gotten a good bit of spotting with this IUD, and my periods come within like a 3 week span. so im used to that.. just the brown really threw me off and kinda scared me. and last night me and my dh had sex for the first time in almost a month, so musicpisces that would makes sense.

the bleeding has pretty come stopped now. im pretty sure im not pregnant.. since it has been so long since we have had sex, but i might still take a test just to make sure.
    emmalouwho

Comment by emmalouwho (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• just get a dollar store test in another day or two just in case. It could just be older blood from intercourse, but you never know and better safe than sorry!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2011