What type of lotion do you use on your babies skin?

My 3 month old son's face breaks out all the time. His father has sensitive skin and I'm thinking my son does as well. We currently use lavender johnson and johnson lotion...is there something better out there??

RNC2005

Asked by RNC2005 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We use AveenoBaby Soothing Relief Moisture Cream and I love it so much I've started using it on myself. It's much better than any other lotion I've ever tried!
    Just a note - my ped recently told me to never use a lotion with a "pump" If they are thin enough to be pumped, they have some amount of alcohol in them, which is drying and tends to counteract the dry skin you are trying to prevent.

Answer by missanc at 10:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I have used Baby Aveeno on both of my babies. I would swear by it. They both went through some bad periods of dry red irritated skin and it always cleared it up with no irritation.
    CoopEllaMom

Answer by CoopEllaMom at 2:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I would stop the scented lotion.....the fragrance oil can be drying to the skin (as well as the other chemicals in standard lotions)! Look into organic/natural brands such as Burts Bee's or make your own. I've used my homemade lotion (made with oils and butters) for our entire family, including my baby daughter for over a year as we are extremely happy with the results!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I used (still do) Eucerin Original Lotion and Creme on my child. Works great!

Aquaphor is a great product, too.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I use Aquaphor baby on their faces. (It seems really thick, but it keeps the redness and dryness down the best.) I use Lubriderm on the rest of their bodies (though I sometimes use Aquaphor on their knees, especially when they are learning to crawl) or Burt's Baby Bee lotion. Johnson and Johnson is very drying.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 12:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i use just the regular J&J baby lotion.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I have never thought of making my own lotion...what about vaseline?? I am so impressed you make your own...I am going to have to google that!! Thanks!!
    RNC2005

Comment by RNC2005 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• there are lots of basic recipes, it can be a little tiring....you have to whisk it until it cools and thickens and sometimes that can take a half hour or longer. But it's easy and I usually make a large batch. I reuse stage 3 baby food jars (boil them and the lids first) to put my lotion in. When I make a batch I manage to fill 3 of those jars!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I love Burts Bee's. It's the best lotion I have found so far.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• We use Aveeno, California baby, and Burt Bee's.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2011