when are kids old enough to stay home alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Id say overall.....12. BUT every kid is diff and it depends on their level of maturity
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• A lot of states have legal statutes that address this, so first off, check your local laws first. Then it really depends on the child. I believe the average allowable by law is 12, however, not all 12 year olds can stay home alone. I would say, bare minimum follow the law in your area and then judge your own child(ren). If you feel (s)he is ready, then do some practice runs. Do smaller increments than you are actually going to be leaving the child alone for. Start with a half hour while you run and get gas or something. Then an hour while you grocery shop. I wouldn't leave town or go somewhere you wouldn't be reachable by telephone, for a while, but if you start small to adjust and gauge the child in question, you can get an idea of what is appropriate for your situation.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I'd say 10 for a little while because at 12 if they are mature enough they can babysit
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 6:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• In my state, a child can be home alone at 12, and can babysit at 13, but that is local.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• In pa the have to be 13 to stay home alone and 16 if they are babysitting... Under 18 can not be home alone after 10PM...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I had my daughter take the babysitter's course at the local YMCA before I'd leave her home alone. That course really gives them the needed training if something happens.

She's 14 and I still don't leave her alone very often. I never leave her alone at night. She hates to be home alone when it's dark anyway.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 6:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• In my state it is 12. I had my son take the baby sitting course that the town offers so he would be better prepared for staying home. he is only 12 and I usually only leave him for about 1 hour at max. i started out just leaving him to go get milk at the store and small things like that.

Now I am starting to leave him for a little bit longer.

I think you have to do what it comfortable for you. Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• For short periods of time 10 yrs, long periods 12 yrs.
    pinkhulahoop

Answer by pinkhulahoop at 11:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I agree SabrinaMBowen because I live in PA too.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I leave my 13 y/o alone for a short time while I go to the grocery store. He has stayed with his brothers(9 and 6) but they were in bed. He knows my cell phone number, I was gone 20-30 minutes. I began watching him alone (he is my nephew) when I was 12. I was left at home when I was 6, my brother was 7 but I was the "responsible" one.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 2:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2008