my 15 month old likes to smack. me and my hubby don't smack each other at all.we don't even horseplay. were could he be getting that from and is there anything to get him to stop?

Chell713

Asked by Chell713 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he's an only child right now and he's not in day care.
    Chell713

Answer by Chell713 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Alot of people say that hitting is a learned behavior....to me that is totall BS, its instinct. Self control is taught. Hitting and physical forms of communication come very natrually to humans. YOu need to make it clear that A. hitting is not accepttable and B, teach him now to communicate with his words. If he is hitting out of frustration, or anger, then gently take him bye the hands and get down on his level, and show him the ASL signs for mad, or sad, or whatever you can tell he is feeling, while clearly saying "I know your MAD (sign), but hitting because your mad is wrong." Then show him what you would rather him do to get rid of that emotion (talking it out is best, but if he needs to go sit on his bed and cry it off, then there isnothing wrong with that). If the issue presists, then you need to decide on how to dicipline that behavior so that he can learn self control.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• All kids go through this stage. You need to be firm and tell him no that hurts or something of that nature. Just keep telling him no and Owie and he will get it,
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Continued... In our home if something like that were to happen, we would try to identify the heart of the issue first (is he doing it for attention? frustration out of communication? because he thinks its funny? because he wants something?) And then I would try to figure out the best way to resolve the issue, but if in time if the issues are resolved and the behavior continues, then to me, then its a self control issue. In our home, we spank, and I would spank for that reason. Also, I think its important to tell your child when we don't hit and when we do. Yes, in most situation your child will be in, words work best, but I have and will continue to teach my childrne that if they are in physical danger to protect themselves (but we also plan on doing that by enrolling them in martial arts, jujitzu first).
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2008