What age is it appropiate to get a child a cell phone?

My son is 11 so I got him a prepaid phone so basically he can text bc he loves too. I went over the rules, explained harassment, and all that. He has done real well with it.

ConnectHearts

Asked by ConnectHearts at 12:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• IMHO, when they are old even to pay for it themselves.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think they are old enough when they prove that they can be responsable about it. Every child is different about maturity, so it really depends on the child. I was 15 when I got a prepaid for christmas, and that was how my mom determined for me about getting me a cell phone because I was responsable about using a cell phone. I didnt use all the prepaid time I had the first day I had it, and I used it only when I needed to (calling my mom if something was going on while walking home from school, calls that I needed to make when not at home, things like that).
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 12:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I agree, when they pay for their own bill. There weren't cell phones when we were kids and we survived!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I don't think a child needs one till they are in at least 7th grade unless both parents work during the day and there is no other means of communication
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• When they get their driver's license.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My son will be getting on for his birthday - he'll be 5. I would never send a child to school without one.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• SavribaMBowen- You would never send a child to school without one? Are you kidding me? Are you going to be one of those moms that never lets your kid do anything without you first saying ok about it? How annoying that will be for the poor teacher...Cell phones are not meant to be used at school, so I realy think your being beyond strange with that one.
    I personaly dont think kids need one. Like the poster said, we didnt have them when we were kids, we are fine! I think not till 16.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• around 10 -12 that way when there 14 and use to it they can pay for it them self it ill relley help them get a job
    rave88

Answer by rave88 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My dd was 10 when she got her cell phone, but its a prepaid one, and she has to earn the minutes with her allowance. If she does her choses, she get to buy a card, if she don't then she is outta luck
    djh0505

Answer by djh0505 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My oldest just got a phone for Christmas and he'll be 13 next month. The ONLY reason he got 1 is because he's involved in after school activities. I don't see why a 5 year old would need a cell phone though.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2011