Ways to get your toddler not to sit in a "w"

catrow

Asked by catrow at 1:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what is sitting in a "w"? i know im going to regret asking. i should know what you are talking about but i dont
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• no jodi205....i have the same question....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I have the same question also, lol.  But okay, I'll give this a shot.  My daughter is 3, I tell her "sit with your legs closed, your a lady".  Luckily, she gets it and sits accordingly.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• glad im not the only one lol. but i still dont know what it means
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i think i know what you mean, like when they sit on their knees with their legs behind them, but it actually in my opinion more looks like an "M" am i right?

children that do that are hyperflexible apparently. atleast thats what i was told about my 2 year old. but it can be bad for the hip-joint. best thing to do is just to correct them when you catch it. its a preferred way of sitting for them so theres not much you can do except show them how they should sit.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The OP is correct, it is called "W sitting" and it hinders children's leg and hip development. Most children do it at some point, and in small amounts its perfectly normal and nothing negative will come of it. However, when a child makes it a habit to sit this way all day everyday, it can cause serious problems, leg braces, surgeries, difficulty with walking and crawling. Anytime you see your child sitting in this position simply walk over and say "no w, criss-cross applesauce please" or something along those lines. In the beginning you will have to physically "fix" their legs for them so they know what your talking about, but eventually if they hear you say the above mentioned they'll just correct their legs on their own. I've seen the damage done by W sitting in the special education department, I was constantly on my son about not sitting in this position.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• my 2 year old does it all the time and i am constantly on her about it. even worse, she points her feet INWARD instead of outward. i cant even do that (comfortably) and i have tried. its possible to do if you bend your legs but she keeps her legs pressed to the floor and points her feet inward, also with her feet on the floor. and somehow it is comfortable for her! also, when sitting on her butt and legs out in front of her, she points her feet inward BUT with her legs still straight & knees locked instead of bent. idk how this is comfortable for her! and she also walks on her tippy toes but with her toes curled in so shes actually walking on the knuckles of her toes. it is very strange! but i dont want her to have problems in the future so im always on her butt about it!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• lol i had never heard the term either
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• When my girls sit all spread eagle, I just told them it wasn't okay, because they don't want people being able to see their business. After a few days of repeated reminders, they caught on. I still have to remind them a few times, but it is usually just a quick glance or something. I know its not exactly the same thing, but like a previous poster said, after letting the child know its not ok & why, they should catch on without any problems.
    darmika

Answer by darmika at 2:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• When my girls used to sit all spread eagle, I just told them it wasn't okay, because they don't want people being able to see their business. After a few days of repeated reminders, they caught on. I still have to remind them a few times, but it is usually just a quick glance or something. I know its not exactly the same thing, but like a previous poster said, after letting the child know its not ok & why, they should catch on without any problem.
    darmika

Answer by darmika at 2:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2011