Contraception No Longer Considered Abortion???HUH?

WASHINGTON -- (AP) The government has replaced a Bush-era rule that became a flash point in the debate over abortions, clarifying that doctors and nurses have a long-standing federal right not to participate in the procedures.

Federal laws for years have forbidden discrimination against health care professionals who refuse to perform abortions or sterilizations, or to provide referrals for them on religious or moral grounds.

The regulation, instituted in the last days of the Bush administration, was supposed to strengthen those protections by adding a requirement that institutions that receive federal money certify their compliance with the so-called conscience laws, so that money could be cut off if the law wasn't being followed.

That regulation was quickly challenged in federal court by several states and medical organizations, in part over concern that its overly broad wording also could be used to refuse birth control, family planning services and a variety of other services.

The Obama administration announced a year ago that it planned to repeal the regulation, and it did so on Friday after months spent reviewing 300,000 comments from the public on both sides.

In its place is a new rule that retains just the federal conscience protections for abortions and sterilizations, along with a provision that spells out how health workers who feel they were discriminated against can ask the government to enforce that law.

"Strong conscience laws make it clear that health care providers cannot be compelled to perform or assist in an abortion," said a statement from the Department of Health and Human Services. "The rule being issued today builds on these laws by providing a clear enforcement process

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Seems like common sense and I trust that it will put an end to the legal wrangling
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Well, I don't know any of the specifics, but that line at the end sounded good to me:

"Strong conscience laws make it clear that health care providers cannot be compelled to perform or assist in an abortion," said a statement from the Department of Health and Human Services. "The rule being issued today builds on these laws by providing a clear enforcement process"

I don't think anyone should be forced to prescribe birth control - if you want it, find a doctor who will prescribe it.

But I don't understand what all this means.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• well im confused, since when is birth control considered abortion? there has to be a fertilized egg to be aborted and birth control prevents that from happening in the first place.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I'm with tnm786...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Ditto what tnm786 said. Not sure how preventing a pregnancy can be confused with aborting a fetus.
    5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 1:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I work at a Catholic hospital, so our insurance won't cover birth control. Maybe this will put a stop to it, because it's ridiculous.....
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Some birth control also keeps a fertilized egg from implanting should it be conceived. The IUD, for example keeps the uterus from being hospitable to implantation.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I also do not see how birth control is considered an abortion. If doctors dont prescribe birth control to people, I garauntee the amount of people who turn to abortions will rise like crazy. If someone acknowledges the fact that bringing another HUMAN LIFE into this world is not something they can do at the moment, and if they think they do not want anymore kids, then I would hope they would get onto Birth Control. The last thing we need is children with parents who cannot raise them properly. In my area Ive seen this all too much.
    Anonymous

• i still am failing to make the connection between your article and your title? im sorry i am just confused.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2011