When you get your teeth cleaned do they criticize you?

I take excellent care of my teeth. I get them cleaned twice a year. I brush at least 4 times a day and floss twice a day.

I hate going to the dentist because it's like they are always looking for something wrong. Lately, my dentist has been bugging me to get veneers because my enamel is wearing down on a few of my front teeth. My teeth look good and it's not a problem so I'm not going to spend the money.

I just feel pressured.

pugpin

Asked by pugpin at 6:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Health

• I have had that problem. I changed dentists because of it.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I have never really had a problem with that. My dentist only recommends procedures that I need or will need soon, such as fillings or wisdom tooth extraction.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My dentist recently spent a fortune on a bunch of new equipment. I'm sure he wants a return on his investment.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 7:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• jsut tell him you aren't interested now nor do you plan on it in the future, and that if you change your mind, you will ask about it.
    It's probably one of the areas he makes back his money. I mean, he's got to make a living too, ya know?
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 7:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My dentist doesn't criticize, but I've noticed they are always pushing some procedure or product. I like and trust my dentist, so I expect it is all legit. Whenever he recommends a procedure (getting a tooth capped, or filled, or replacing a crown) he takes x-rays and pictures and shows me exactly why he recommends what he does. It sounds to me as though you take good care of your teeth, unless there is a problem with brushing so often and wearing down the enamel. (not saying that there is, just thinking why your enamel is thinning.) It may be time to move to another dentist. I was loyal to my old dentist for years and got fed up that he wasn't any good with pain control and his billing department was bad news. I am very happy with the new dentist.

Answer by Bmat at 7:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• no... my dentist is wonderful... he has never so much as comented on our teeth other than what he is supposed to tell us... I did have a dentist that made fun of my tounge piercing So I bit him...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I admit it - I have HORRIBLE teeth!! I have been told it is hereditart...I haven't been to the dentist for a long time bc I am on state ins and just got dental, but I am scared to go. I would love to get vaneers, but don't think I could afford them and don't think state ns pays for it.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2008