What are the pros and cons of marriage?

i am not married and although it seems romantic i cant conjure why its so great. i have a heart. i am in a commited relationship and i want kids someday. other than financial security (or insecurity) help with the children, romance, fun, etc. what else is it supposed to be... i have all of that already and im not married. so what IS marriage? what are all the right reasons to get married, and the wrong reasons?? That seems silly, i just dont get the point and why should the government be involved with my love life if i dont have kids. i know this is a site for moms so you may be asking why am i on here. i want to hear what you have to say as a wife and mother from your experiences because i am in the dark about it.

Liz4Life

Asked by Liz4Life at 1:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• The only right reason to enter into a marriage is love. You must truly love the individual you marry. After love comes appreciation, respect, loyalty, and the willingness to do whatever it takes to make your marriage work.

I have been married for 14 years, met my guy 23 years ago. For me, getting married was the ultimate commitment. We both entered into a marriage contract knowing that we would have our ups and downs, that we would go through bouts of poverty and riches (still waiting for the riches part--haha), sickness and health. We want to grow old together! I, personally, had no desire to have children out of wedlock and just live as someone's girlfriend. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's not something that is respected in my family at all.

Good luck to you!
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 1:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I am never getting married but I think all realtionships have ups and down and you have to decid if you want to make it that serious or committed
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• There aren't any cons in my marriage.  I guess maybe the ups and downs to become this happy and comfortable could be considered cons.  The pros are simple.  What's not to like about being married to your best friend.  It's awesome.  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I married to provide a legal obligated partnership to raise the child I was pregnant with. Yes I loved my husband but we wouldn't have gotten married if I hadn't been pregnant and likewise I wouldn't have stayed with him in an relationship if he hadn't married me. I felt marriage protected and invested our family.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• OP, you make some excellent points.

In my case, it was somethig my husband argued for, citing legal reasons to protect any children we ended up having. That's it.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• how is the government going to be involved in your love life if you get married? just curious. im married and they are not involved in mine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• if you dont want to get married dont. do what u feel is good for you.
    lawmaria

Answer by lawmaria at 1:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I can't think of cons, there are good times and bad times but once it's the right guy, it is never a con!!! Pros is I get to spend my life with someone I adore, someone who takes care of me and my children, who loves me for me and protects me all the time..
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Marriage is really only a committed relationship with a legal document. Unless you are religious, which means that you are already living in sin, it is a blessing from the church.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2011