Would you allow?

a 14 year old to watch your kids and how much do you pay for a babysitter?  My children's ages are 9 and 3 and a half(will be 4 in April)

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't. Here babysitters get $5.00+ an hour, almost minimum wage.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Personally, I wouldn't. Then again, I'll only let my parents watch him, lol, so I may not be the person to ask. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It would really depend on the maturity of the teen. If I felt that they could care for the child, then yes. As for payment...that would depend on how long they are watching them.
    When I babysat at that age, I got $20 for 4 hours in the evening.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• No I wouldn't. But I have a child with a medical condition that can be a lot to ask of most adults, never mind a 14 yr old, Red Cross qualified or not. Not to mention my oldest is 13, and would really resent it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My daughter has been a Red Cross certified baby sitter, since she was twelve. She is now fifteen, and has several families she babysits for. Her rate is $8-10 an hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Nope. I've heard too many horror stories about young kids watching younger kids. There was just one recently about a 12 year murdering a toddler because the toddler wouldn't behave. Too scary for me.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Probably not my kids because my oldest is 10 and wouldn't listen to someone just a few years older than her. Then again my kids already stay home by themselves and watch each other (they are 10, 9, 8 and almost 5). I would have a 14yo come watch my 4yo and maybe the baby (7mo) if they had experience with babies.
    Not sure what I would pay. My only experience babysitting was when I was 17 and I watched the 2 neighbor boys (11 and 3) for 8+ hours a day, 2-3 day/week and only made $20 for the week. I quit after 3 weeks because it wasn't worth the stress (neither of them listened).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Personally no I wouldn't so I would pay them zero dollars.  I would guess ten bucks a day?  That's just a guess, not sure.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2011