How do I price a custom cake?

Here are some examples of my work.

They take a lot of time and effort, especially since I make my cakes, icing and fillings from scratch. Problem? I don't know how to price them. I don't want to overprice and have people stop ordering, but I also don't want to underprice and lose money. How would I factor everything in and come up with a reasonable price?

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 1:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• First I'd add up the cost of ingredients. Then, I'd charge based on how many layers and how much decoration, as well as what kind of icing is used. Fondant will obviously be more expensive. You could try looking around at other places and see what the going rate is, then either charge something similar or maybe a little less to attract more customers. Or...you could charge per "piece" or by how many people it will feed. My wedding cake was like that. It was around $2.50 a slice/person, depending on what kind of cake it was. They ranged from about 1.75 a person to 3.50. So, if someone wants a cake that will feed 70 people, for example, you're looking at around $210. Just some ideas. Best of luck, the cakes look great! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I know the pricing is done per serving by a lot of the well known bakeries.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Hi I just finished culinary school myself. I am a pastry chef and I can tell you it depends. Some bakers charge by slice and some just for supplies and labor. One thing is you HAVE to have it in writing! No matter who you are baking for have a cake contract. I can give you more details later on if you like. Add up the cost of your supplies it takes to make a cake them add how much you think you deserve for time and labor.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Find out what others in your area charge.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2011