Has anyone had a hysterectomy?

I wanted to know what was the complication and how did you feel afterwards.

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 2:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Health

• I had both my tubes removed after my last child was born and have not had any problems but they did put me on a low dose birth control because before I got pregnant and in my younger days I had alot of erratic periods
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My mom had to have one in 04 or 05 because she was bleeding non stop and filling pull-ups with blood (I know, TMI) so, obviously she was happy that it was over. She had only her uterus removed and it was removed vaginally so it was like recovering from childbirth. I wouldn't get a hysterectomy unless all other avenues had been explored because there can be complications and then problems with your hormones afterwards. If you do get it done don't let them remove your ovaries because you will end up on hormone replacement therapy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i cant answer personally, but, my mom had one back in 04.

her complication was a very large cyst that attached itself to her bladder. it got so big she just had to have everything removed. she felt much, much better though afterward because the cyst was causing her to have extreme periods/migraines. she would pass golf-ball size clots during her periods and the migraines she had were awful. obviously she doesnt have more periods but she also does not suffer the migraines since the hysterectomy. i would say her quality of life improved drastically after the surgery.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I had a partial because of fibroids.  I was bleeding heavily, passing huge clots and very anemic.  My recovery went well and I felt so much better afterwards.  That was 9 years ago and I've never had a problem since.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I had a partial too. Physically, I have had no problems at all possibly because I still have my ovaries . Emotionally, it has been hard because my husband and I wanted more children ( we have two ) and I was young at the time, in my 20's . If you have it done , try to keep your ovaries and go the vaginal route.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My mom also had one but she is telling me not to do it. I am currently running back and forth to the emergency rooms and many many specialist due to my heavy periods. And lets not talk about the clots that comes out of there. I also go through constant nausea which causes me to throw up constantly throughout the month. Thanks for your feedback.
    dubewife

Comment by dubewife (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Thank you, that was another reason I was contemplating doing the surgery. I am weighing the pros and the cons before I make my final decision.
    dubewife

Comment by dubewife (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Great to know that I'm not the only one who is dealing with this problem. Thank you
    dubewife

Comment by dubewife (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011