My 1 month old had thrush about two weeks ago and he was on the medication Nystatin for 10 days. Well, we gave him the meds 4 times a day for 10 days (like it said) and now I think the thrush is either back or never really went away. He has the white stuff on cheeks, lower lip etc but its not like a lot or anything. It also smells a little. Could the thrush be back or never went away or do u think it could be just the formula (he is on similiac sensitive)?

kristie0319

Asked by kristie0319 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughters didn't completely clear up until she was off of the medication for about a week if its been longer than that I would take him back to the doctor and, yes thrush smells

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 7:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Nystatin is a horrible "cure" for thrush as it often makes it worse.

Check out kellymom.com for thrush cures that work.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• possibly thrush. go to wal-greens and get Gentian Violet and use a Q-tip to swab it in his mouth. it will turn his mouth purple, and make sure you use a bib or some clothes you really don't care about because it does stain and the stain wont' come out. i used this on my son and it was gone within a couple of days. i didn't bother going to the doctors because the stuff they give you takes like a week or 2...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2008