My friend is freaking out, her son came home with lice, I've looked up everything possible but thought maybes someones experience would help her more, please help.

laur1963

Asked by laur1963 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Well really there is no need to freak out. It is juts lice kids get it all the time from friends and at school. She can got to walmart and buy the shampoo to get rid of it her son will be fine. And make sure she washes the linens and everything other than that really is no big deal.
    sabrinaford0911

Answer by sabrinaford0911 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• she could just do what many people do, drive to the next town and buy the shampoo stuff and pay with cash so no one knows its you
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I don't know if you are seeking out drama , or trying to cause a ''stir'', or just get attention, but as the top reply said, I agree to the letter. Nothing is that bad. I do think if less mom's / dad's perhaps made less of a panic out of this, they too would see it's not even a thing worth panicking over . I have a feeling this is by you, seeing that you are saying ''your friend'', seek the easy way out, and just take care of things. Nobody ever said that bugs don't exist.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I like to refer to earth clinic. I read somewhere that olive oil suffocates them leave on their heads all night or all day. When you finally get rid of them which is actually quite fast in my experience buy tee tree shampoo and conditioner the lice dont like it
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 2:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• just trying to help a friend out...thanks first reply, good advice.
    laur1963

Comment by laur1963 (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• eww have you ever seen these things under a microscope? yea I freak out over lice too,they are freaking nasty looking
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 2:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• shave his head and burn the house down!! lol i'm obviously joking.

it's no big deal. just buy the lice shampoo & wash his linens & pillows like pp said & he'll be fine. if still unsure, then re-shampoo again the next day ( unless the shampoo advises against that, then don't listen to me =P ) I got lice when my neighbors kids arrived from el salvador when i was younger. But I just did a good comb through to remove the ones i could find & then shampooed. no problems since. good luck!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Ok- my kids had it before, when my oldest was in pre-k. I tried and tried to get rid of it, none of the home remedies worked. I bought the Rid kit, combed all the lice out with the nit comb(and that takes a LONG time, let me tell you!) and did the shampoo like it says. Then I combed it again and got out ALL the nits- this step is CRUCIAL because one or two nits mean a re-infestation! Once all the lice and nits are gone, make sure to tell her to send him to school with hairspray or mousse in his hair every time he goes to school- lice HATE dirty hair. I hope this helps!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• In addition to what the first poster said--vacuum everything and put stuffed animals in a plastic garbage bag and put them outside for a few weeks or put them in the dryer for 20 minutes if you can. The heat will kill the lice as well.
    In addition, getting the nits out of the hair is the most important things. This can be difficult, but olive oil and even the lice shampoo doesn't always kill all the eggs. If you don't remove them and they hatch, you'll be doing it all over again.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Oh, and I forgot to add to wash all the bedding and things. Even though the lice can't live without a host for very long, it may be just long enough to cause re-infestation. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011