What to do. Advice please!

About 3 weeks ago I went to drop my daughter off at her dad's house (he used to take her half the week) he was acting very strange, his roomate pulled me aside and said he'd been doing heroin. So she hasnt seen him in 3 weeks. I want to get legal custody. I am completely broke. in fact I just lost my job because I cant find babysitters. I have no idea what to do, where to start. ect. Any advice? I live in Utah

Sherrae

Asked by Sherrae at 2:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Go to family court on Monday morning. Make sure they are open, it may be President's Day in your state. Tell the clerk exactly what you said here and ask for the papers to request sole custody. They may be able to get you in quickly because of the heroin use.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• look into legalaid. they can help at no cost to you. go in and talk to someone about your situation and then they will help with the next step. Does he even want to be in her life cause if not you can just have a written statement saying he is giving you sole custody, then you both go to get it notarized and you both sign the paper and that is that. i did that with my dd sperm donner. he didn't want anything to do with her so he signed the paper in exchange i stopped child support. Good luck and i hope you win cause i would not be okay with having a addict watch my baby plus that's not good for her.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't let him have her unless he completed a rehab program. Is he paying child support? if not then he should be. Heroin is a really nasty drug and you don't want your child growing up around it. I grew up around drugs so trust me on this. Try looking at teenagers in your church, if you go to church. When I was a teenager I had a lot of people from my mother's church that asked me to babysit for them, mostly because I kept nursery at church back then. They all knew I was great with kids.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Read page 7 here

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2011