OMG what is this???

Last Saturday and Sunday, my 4 year old was running high fever. Sunday the vomitting started. I took her to the ER on Sunday night. "Dr" said she had a sore throat and sent us home. *eye roll* Took her to pedi on Monday. He exams her and says she has Herpengina (?) -cold sores- in the back of her throat. He prescribes a mix of Maalox and Benadryl plus Tylenol and Ibuprofin for fever. Tuesday she gets sores all in her mouth, gums and lips. Wednesday she goes to the dr again. He says if there's no improvement by Friday to call. I call Friday and he prescribes antibiotics. Today -Saturday- she has sores on her tongue. For the last week, my baby has been waking up with blood crusted on her lips. She cries in her sleep she is in so much pain. Could this be something other than cold sores? What can I do for her? I feel so helpless. I plan on taking her back to the dr on Monday. But what do I do? Do I demand he do blood work? Any one ever go through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• It does sound like herpangina. She has all of the symptoms. It's actually quite common in children her age. Make sure you avoid hot beverages and anything citrus and any fruit juices. The acidity can make them hurt more. Try having her drink a lot of really cold liquids and milk. It usually lasts about a week, but if you're concerned, call the doctor back. Best of luck. I can imagine how horrible it would be watching your baby in pain and not being able to help. Hopefully she'll feel better soon!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• http://www.drgreene.com/azguide/hand-foot-mouth-disease

It may be hand -foot mouth -disease
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I will send prayers your way
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 2:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Is she allergic to some food or candy,(?) it was Valentine's Day, & my kids have been eating way too much of anything with ascorbic acid, and citric acid like the sour patch kids, or sour candies powders in the baby bottle pops, it is hard to digest too much of it. Ascorbic acid wears into the lining of the mouth, throat, and stomach. It's a real acid, just like lemon juice, lime, soda, phosphoric acid in cola, and in some dressing. ( like sour dressings )
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Babygirl, he checked her hands and feet because he, too, thought it could be that. Will blood work confirm it?

MarGeee, thank you. I feel like this virus or whatever it is, is taking over my house. My younger child got a sore on her lip but it has went away. But I, too, have one sore in my mouth although nothing as severe as my daughter.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Coffeeyum, I very seldom let them have candy. She hasn't really ate anything this past week. She tries but can't because it all hurts her mouth.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• tried Docosanol??? docosanol is made to treat cold sores. You may have passed it by a washcloth, cup, or some item commonly used, on faces. not sure if this is prescription or what.
    She may also have contracted pharyngytis since you said she has a fever. check her for swollen glands./ lymph nodes.
    possible mononucleosis.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My son has had these since he was a baby and he is 18 now. They have never really been able to diagnose it but it usually comes on when someone around him has been sick. Instead of getting sick he gets those sores. As he got older he didnt get them in his mouth anymore, just on his gums. It is a bacterial infection and antibiotics probably wont do anything for it. You also have to have them run a full panel for other diseases that are more serious. We have had to run every test possible and the best they could come up with was he gets bacterial infections rather then lets say strep throat or a flu. Go back to the ER and ask them if they can give you some meds for a bacterial infection and something called magic mouthwash.

Answer by gemgem at 3:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• docosanol
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• paracetamol if she has a reaction to docosamol, I usually don't believe in the pharma drug store prescription, as a rule, but lately finding honey, and tumeric to have benefits for cold sores, or even just bad breath.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2011