Why is when you want to sign your kid up for something like karate they will not give you the rates?

I've gone to 4 different places today..just checking places out to see how clean they looked and i was kinda hoping they would give me an idea of what the cost would be. but no. They want you to join first and pay there $99 dollar 6 wk trial period to see if your kid likes it and then after that they will discuss rates. What, should i act like my son doesnt like it that much so they will lower the cost for me? It just kinda pisses me off. he was doing budakon 2 years ago and it was so expensive..i had to pull him out because his dad quit paying the child support..(thats how i was paying for him to g0. if your kid does karate how much do you pay so i can have an idea? Or are all places pretty much the same? I'm starting to think they do different prices for people...i'm sure they jack the prices up on some people just because they know they can get away with it.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't sign him up without a price list. That's crazy!!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I take TKD and was looking around for a place for my son for awhile. ALL the places I looked into gave me rates and prices when I sat down and talked with them. I bet if they pull that crap and you say, "Well maybe I'll just check out another place that will give me the rates," and start to head out they'd provide them for you. If not, try a different school. I've never checked out a school like that. I've been to ones that TRY to skirt around the issue, but when I flat out ask they've provided them.
    Anonymous

• yeah it is crazy...the budakon did the same thing..the first month was free but it was $260 for 9 wks (only 2 days a wk) you had to pay it up front..plus they wanted in for 9 wks at a time..so the 260 all at once. they would not break it down for you
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• PS My post isn't clear about why my son didn't just go to my dojang - it's because I had moved out of the area away from mine and I needed a new place too. I signed him up before I re-signed myself up though.

Also, my school is probably an anomaly, but we pay only $300 a YEAR. An average rate is about $70-$100 a month.
    Anonymous

• "Some branches of the YMCA offer karate classes for $50 a month or less for adult members. Contact a YMCA near you to determine whether it offers a martial arts program."

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• they said i can bring him in for 1 class. i'm going to and when we talk then i'm going to let them know i have other places that i've talked to that are "just as nice" that i want to let him try before i make my decision and that when it comes down to my decision it will be based upon who has the best rates because we are on a budget
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Oh yeah - visit a black belt class. The school is only as good as its black belts. If the black belts suck - watch out!
    Anonymous

• I think if they really want your business, then they should be willing to discuss their prices with you. I don't see what's so difficult about saying "We charge $50 a class, and included in that is blah blah blah".

I say you should pull the "Well, I checked with X and they charge Y. I guess I'll go with them since you aren't willing to even tell me your prices."
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 4:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Wow... Around here all you have to do is ask and they'll tell you. Even if you aren't ready to sign your kids up.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I never had that issue. We went to a few places and they gave us the rates up front. We pay $40 a month for one hour a week.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2011