If you only got unemployment compensation will you owe for taxes?

If you only got unemployment benefits for the entire year. Been jobless for some time. Nothing coming out of those UEC Checks will we owe the government? How could we get a refund if that's all we made? Are we hopeless? Any way to find out when you're so down on our luck? The bright part is at least our children are married. So its just DH & I. I had no income due to my cancer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• Depends on whether you had them take the taxes out before you got your check. If you didn't,you may owe

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yes, you pay taxes on unemployment compensation.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yes,U do owe taxes on them .. They don't take them out before giving u the checks> sorry!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If you had them taken out you will still get a return, however if they were not taken out of your checks you'll have to pay what you owe. My DH only had EUC this year and we opted to have his taxes taken out of his checks, so we still got a small return.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Sorry, that should read "UEC" not "EUC"

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yep, you'll have to pay taxes on it. When my brother was on UE, he opted to have taxes deducted form each check, to avoid that. Hopefully you won't be screwed out of a refund.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yes, they tax everything they can. You would get taxed for the money you recive in your birthday card from grandma every year if they could track it, trust me!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2011