How much would you charge?

How much would you charge to babysit 2 kids? 33hrs a week

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• The going rate where I live (NJ) is $10/hour.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I only charged around $50 a week. For almost the same scenario. I was wacthing 2 kids for about 35 hours a week. I think it also depends who is supplying the food. At the time I was but then it got to be too much so i started asking her to either bring food or give me an extra $15 dollars. I did it so cheap because I know what it is like, and $10 an hour to babysit when you are only making $11 does nothing.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think a lot of childcare is way overpriced. I'm not saying that those who watch our children shouldn't be paid well but childcare can be crippling to many families these days. I make like $13 an hour and according to what the person who first posted stated If I lived in NJ I'd have $3 an hour left over to pay for all the other bills to provide for myself and my child... thats out of control.

I think $125-150 a week is reasonable.

Factors that may influence price would be if your watching in your home or theirs. If the child is in diapers etc.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 3:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I paid $175 a week for my sitter to watch mine when I was at work. I had one little one he was 3 at the time, and two 7 and 8 yrs old and a teenager. She didnt have to watch the teen obviously.

Answer by gemgem at 3:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My husband is cheap. He wants to pay someone $40 dollars a week for 2 kids. Age 2(not completely potty trained) and a 2 month old. I am not going to take advantage of someone like that. That is not even a damn dollar an hour. We have been arguing for the past week about it.
    babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• *facepalm* I just noticed it said two kids.... Then probably 175-200
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 3:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) 13 minutes ago

^ - WOW your husband needs a serious reality check. Tell him to take on someone elses kids for $1 an hour for a few weeks and then you'll talk :)
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• That what I have been trying to tell him kayslay. I work part time and go to school. It would make more sense for me to be a SAHM and go to school. I would be working to pay for daycare and he would have to give me gas money to get back and forth. The bad thing about it is we can afford for me not to work.
    babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I used to charge $15 a day for 2 kids and didn't go by the hour
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• For 2 kids, I'd charge at least $140-$150 a week.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011