I cant take the cry for attention anymore! Someone please advice me!!

I have a 3 yr old DD and a 2 yr old DS. They both get lots of attention from me. I am a SAHM mom and all we do is play, go to the park, go on playdates, watch movies, do puzzles, read, take to the zoo, basically all fun stuff.

But my 3 yr old DD is really really testing my patience with her attention seeking ways. I love her so much but she likes to compete for attention from her DD.

For example, when he asks for milk before bedtime, all of a sudden, she wants milk too. When I feed him his dinner, all of a sudden she cant feed herself anymore (although she knows how to and has been feeding herself) and wants me to feed her also. When I pick him up to give him kisses, all of a sudden, she starts asking to be picked up and given kisses also. I always give her kisses anyways, there was no need for her to ask anyways. When I took him to the doctor for an ear infection and he was checking his ears, she asked the doctor to check her ears too, and then threw a fit when I said no, that that was his appointment and not hers. The doctor actually ended up checking her ears so she would stop crying. Just now, we were going to go play in the rain. She had her coat and boots already on. She dressed herself. I had to help my DS put his boots and coat on because he was struggling. All of a sudden, she takes off her coat and boots and asks me to put them back on for her and starts crying when I refused. I have just had it. This is just a little iota of what goes on in our house.

Its a constant fight for attention. I just need some advice on how to cope with this. I do treat them equally all the time. Anything one has, the other also has. And now, my DS is now acting like that. I put a nice bow on my DD's hair and now my DS is throwing a fit because he wants one on his hair also and I said no because its only for girls. I gave him his sunglasses instead, but that only made it worse because now my DD wants her own pair of sunglasses also. She doesnt have one because she broke hers. Its like a freaking circus!! I am losing my patience. Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well you can turn it around with some of those things....such as feeding herself. When you sit down to dinner and start feeding the younger one say to him "Look at your big sister eating all by herself, she is such a big girl and mommy is so proud of her. Just wait until you can do that"

Same thing with the coat and boots, praise how she can do it all by herself to both of them, making her proud and at the same time wanting the little one to do the same.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Thats a great idea. She LOVES those kinds of encouragements. Thank you!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It's like a freakin' circus !! LOL!!! love that, ha ha ha.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Take a bounty roll and start cleaning their eyes and nose for 2 o 3 times, then place them in their areas to observation. remember no hungry or wet diaper allow ,then have them follow you to your homes activities/ have a bag of snacks candys crayons with coloring books or just the play crib bouncing or call friend for help or family when you are very busy. Luck
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 6:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• not to bash you at all but at 2 I think you DS should be feeding himself. I would suggest that she helps you with other things like can you show your brother how to put on his boots, socks etc., when you are giving him something to drink or eat of course she is going to want something shes 3, then I would tell her of course I was getting you something too your my girl. While I know having 2 lil ones so close in age is over whelming at times, remember she is still wanting the same treatment from you as you give your DS.
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 7:48 AM on Feb. 21, 2011