I have a 14 year old son failing fast in school and he is very capable of making honor roll, At my wits end!!!!

I have a 14 year old boy!!!! he has been diagnoised with ADHD and ODD at age 9. He was doing great in school making good grades but was getting bored so the school decided he needed to be on medication. I fought this tooth and nail telling them he needed to be more challanged but I was ignored so the school demaned he be evaluated and put on medication. Now after 5 long years and many different medications and counseling he has lost all intrest in school over the years his grades are very poor except for algebra which he makes A's easily, In other classes if he decides he doesnt feel like doing anything he will make noises, sleep in class, throw paper wads basiclly whatever he can to get sent out of the room. This school year he has been suspended 5 times. sent to detetion center 3 times and put on probation!! I have tried everything anyone have any suggestions?

mammajo61

Asked by mammajo61 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Maybe the meds aren't the thing to do for this particular time in his life. My son is hyper off the wall, and is a snot, repeats me like a parrot, gets poor grades, but I don't remember school being all that enjoyable myself. In grade school the only things that were fun at all were spelling bees, and wrestling in class. We used to wrestle the boys, against the girls, or the boys ag. the boys. We did have plants to water, and volcanoes to make, oh,

about your son, ....( lol ! sorry ) Didn't do that on purpose, but school is awful sometimes, and I don't believe in medicating. He will however get tired of getting the wrong attention and just change eventually. Guaranteed.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 4:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• He sounds depressed. Please find a therapist for him

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• he sounds like a kid my brother went to school with. He was trying everything he could to get kicked out so he'd get home schooled or something.

You said he's got ADD, sounds like western medicine isn't helping. Have you tried Chinese medicine? I've hear of people who've had good luck in cases like this. Put their kids on certain herbal mixtures and the like. it's worth a thought
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Sorry, but not school can demand a child be put on medication....THEY DON'T HAVE MEDICAL DEGREES!
    You say you've tried everything, but have you tried behavioral therapy? Have you tried a psychologist?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• does he rea[[y have add. Have you got him tested recently. If so what about an alternet school. good luck. His a in algebra should mean something to the school.
    traym

Answer by traym at 4:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2011