My daughter is almost 8 months old. Can she have juice?

I have been told that giving her juice can bring upon allergies... I have already bought her some juice, just havent given her any... (The gerber stuff) Also, Ive been told not to feed her ANY citris-y fruits yet for the same reason... Is this true? Thankyou guys SO much for your advice! Ive been asking like 5 questions a day! :)

Sherrae

Asked by Sherrae at 7:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah you can give her juice, just make sure you water it down
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• juice doesn't cause any allergies I started giving it to my daughter at 6m

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 7:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Trust yourself. If your child already has allergies, you would automatically be careful of introducing new foods and beverages. Just follow your instincts. But, be careful, some juices constipate, and some cause diarreha. Mix it with water.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yes, do half juice half water... I have never heard about it causing allergies... Apple juice helps my daughter when she is constipated, but prunes work better :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• yes you can give her juice and at eight months you either wouldn't have to water it down or water it down very little just give her one kind of juice at a time and wait a few days to make sure ther is no allergic affect before introducing something different. good luck
    Anonymous

• ive been giving my DD juice since she was 2mo (5mo now). her pedi recomended it! of course it was only once a day and it was 3 parts water 1 part juice. she greally only gets it on special occasions & right now cause she's sick & needs it. its kinda the only thing i have to use as a treat. but i was told to stay away from oj, grapefruit juice, etc b/c of it being too harsh on the tummy
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Sounds like a good age to introduce a small amount of very diluted juice once in a while as a treat. You don't have to though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Honestly, there is no reason to give juice to a child that young, or even older. Juice is full of sugar and is not nearly as good for them as milk or good old plain water. Their little tastebuds are so sensitive right now that they really don't NEED or have any desire for something that sweet. Stick to water, they love it and its great for them. My son drank only milk and water till he was a year old and he was fine with it.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We waited until 9 or 10 months to introduce juice. DS only gets it once a day and it's extremely watered down.

As far as citrus I heard to hold off too, but not because of allergies. I think the citric acid can be harsh on thier little systems too early. I didn't give my son any for a long time. However, when we started my son on table foods, I did start giving him those little canned mandarins. They're not very acidic and DS LOVES them. He'll eat them before he eats any other food on his plate. I never thought I'd be telling my son to eat his chicken nuggets instead of his fruit! LOL! As far as pineapple and fresh oranges and also citrus juice, I'm still not giving son any of those. (13 months old)
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Juice is ok every now and then.... but dilute it with water!!! Juice contains a very large amount of sugar. Though it is natural sugar it is not AS bad for baby, but still not recommended in very large doses. It is best to stick with formula and water... if your baby isn't introduced to new flavors then she won't crave them.
    EMTcassie

Answer by EMTcassie at 3:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2008