Sleeping in my bed

My daughter is 8 months old and still sleep in my bed with me. I still brestfeed so that's a little easier, but she's up SOOOO may times in the night still, and eats a lot at night. I want her to sleep in her own crib so that both her and I can get better sleep, I just dont know how to do it. I also don't know how to wean her off of night feedings, it seems like she eats most of her feedings at night. I'm afraid that if I don't feed her at night thats shes not going to be eating enough or going to sleep hunger. Please help, but one thing I can' t do is let her cry herself to sleep, I just can't do it. I rather not sleep than have to cry herself to sleep.... it's to sad.

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What I did was supplemented with formula for night time sleeping so I could just get up make a bottle and go back to bed and formula is thicker so they don't need as many bottles during the night as they would breast feedings but I don't know how you feel about formula so.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 7:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• if you can't let her cry, then it looks like you're stuck sleeping with her, or getting up a thousand times a night to comfort her. you should start by pumping your milk into a bottle and start feeding her a bottle at night, and if it helps, maybe you can start by putting the crib in your room. (that's what i did with my son. it's hard with the first one. with my DD though, she's going straight to her room, no crib in mine! she's 16 weeks) i let my son cry himself to sleep starting at 6 months, and about 7 months when he woke up in the middle of the night i let him cry for about 20 minutes. if he was still crying after those 20 minutes, i'd give him a bottle. if he fell back asleep, back to sleep i went. before he was 8 months, he was sleeping through the night.
    Anonymous

• Hang in there! Think about it this way: if she slept in her crib, you'd have to get up to feed her. Some babies, at about this age, go through a reverse feeding cycle where they eat mostly at night. They grow out of it, don't worry! Like you, I refused to let my son cry himself to sleep. It might take a little longer to get them to fall asleep but it's so worth it. Here is some great info:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T031600.asp

Hang in there and good luck! 

ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Mix cereal in a bottle with your breast milk and give it to her before bed. it should help fill her up. Then just simply put her in her crib after she eats and let her be. If she gets up then feed her and put her right back in her crib.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• NO! There is NO need to introduce formula or a bottle! Also, remember that during this time: kids go through growth spurts. Please, don't give up and be responsive. Your baby needs you!
    Anonymous

• I clearly remember when I was pregnant: the thing I heard most was people advising me to say goodbye to my sleep! And I did: for about 13 months. Like you, my child slept in my bed and we nursed. We had good times where he slept through the night for months at a time, then we'd hit a rough spot where nothing seemed to work. Now, he's 18 months old and he goes down to sleep and stays asleep: on his own.

There are no shortcuts. There are no fast fixes. It takes patience and persistance. Leaving your child to cry themselves to sleep might work for YOU but it's not necessarily good for the child. Introducing formula and even adding rice to it is just a bad idea. Being a mom involves sacrifice. But think about it: is 8 months too much to give up? When your child is old enough to not need you as much: you'll miss these times! Hang in there, mama!
    Anonymous

• It is common at this age for baby to be so interested in the world during the day that they save up and do most of their nursing at night. Try finding several times during the day when you can find a quiet distraction free place to nurse. You may be able to increase how much she nurses during the day and then she won't need so much at night. Hang in there! Before you know it they will be "big" and won't get into bed with you if you paid them!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Why do you believe that putting her in her own bed will help you both sleep better?
    It won't- you'll be up more often, and you'll actually have to GET UP.. That will break up your sleep more.
    I would not recommend formula before bed. Why give her something inferior?
    My best advice is to continue doing what you're doing.. Yes, it can get stressful at times, I completley get that (DD1 didn't night wean until 18 months old.. I didn't even try it until she was ready to put herself back to sleep.), but it won't last forever! Before you know it she'll be weaning herself, getting ready for a big girl bed, and then completely off the breast.. Don't force it.
    The best thing you can do is listen to your baby, rather than to other moms who toot their own horns about how "great" their kids sleep thanks to formula and CIO. Yours sleeps just fine. You're doing great doing what you're doing!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• There are ways for the both of you to get your sleep that don't require sleeping apart or crying it out. (Please do not make your baby cry it out) Some moms find a lot of success with cluster feedings near bedtime. Try it. Otherwise, I found great success in learning to nurse my baby in my sleep on my side.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 9:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008