When i put my child in time out he cry the whole 3 min should i keep adding time or start the time when he quits crying

dream11267

Asked by dream11267 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Start the time when he calms down.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I agree but make sure he is told calmly that the time starts when he calms down
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I bet, that if you sat with him, and talked to him about WHY he is in time-out, he wouldn't really cry, or he would quit crying very quickly. AND, he will know why hes in trouble, and can be able to work through his emotions about it, and you can talk bout what he can do instead :) Works great!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 5:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Start the time when he calms down. yes for better discipline.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 5:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Is he crying or throwing a fit? My son is 2 1/2 and he sometimes cries, not hysterically. I leave him there for the 2 minutes and then return to him and explain why he was there. Quick and simple. If he is rolling around on the floor and such, I ignore him until he is then calm....no matter how long it takes. Hope that makes sense.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Guess I didn't make this clear, I don't start time out after he calms down if he has been there more than 2 minutes. I personally feel he is too young for that still. I would feel the same for a 3 yr old too. At late 3 early 4, they can more so "understand" TO and calming down first.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i hate time outs.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 8:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I say start the time when he calms down or just keep him there till he calms down and then after explain to him what he did wrong thats what we do with our 3 year old we have been doing it sence he was 2 im sorry i don't think any kid is to young to start learning right from wrong how else are they going to learn if they are doing the right thing or not
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• ps the older they are the harder it gets to teach them so better to start young
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2011