Anyone Out There have Chickens

Ok, so I was thinking about getting my daughter a couple of baby chicks for Easter. But I have never had chickens before Does anyone have any advice?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Pets

• Unless you have space outside for a coop, don't do it. They are loud, they aren't exactly non-smelly. Plus, you'd want to know your community/city regulations on farm animals if you don't live in the country.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 5:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Please research this before you buy your daughter a pet simply because you think it's "cute".
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 5:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I have a small farm with horses and a sheep. I'm zoned for farm animals. I'm also worried about my puppy trying to eat them. I have a eight week old hound puppy and she likes to tree my cat.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• You have to train your dog right from the start that the chickens are off limits. When we lived in the country our neighbor's dog thought it was great fun to chase our chickens. I got a BB gun and thought it was great fun letting him know he was wrong. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If you get chicks they will need a coop with a run if you have other animals that might harm them ~ otherwise your daughter's pets may end up as a lasting bad memory for her. Google chicken tractors and go from there. It doesn't have to be 'fancy', but it does have to be secure.

I sell both rabbits and chickens as pets/for meat, but never at Easter. If you have the space, raising a few chickens is an awesome experience for a child ... but it should be something that she is really into. On the other hand, having fresh eggs available is a good enough reason for you to get a few, and if nothing else, share with your daughter :-)
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Well, I was planning to get them for both of us, but she loves to help take care of the other animals. She carries buckets and brushes horses and feeds the dogs but I know it will mostly be me taking care of them.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• We have a chicken. He does smell lol, we don't keep him in a coop he just hangs out in the yard. The dogs don't mess with him, they pretty much leave him alone.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 1:00 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My puppy wouldn't hurt it but she would try to track it and chase it. When she gets used to them she might leave them alone. My collie I wouldn't worry about. She may herd them around the yard but she's used to small animals. She herds the my sheep and horses.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Your animals are nice to each other, that's awesome!
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 1:12 AM on Feb. 20, 2011