Why do news stories call what is clearly child abuse "spanking"?

I was reading about a dad arrested for spanking his girl with a belt. So I read on and I read that she had "bruises on her bottom, legs and arms". That is not spanking. That is fucking child abuse. And yet he was arrested for spanking her the story claims. And again you got the typical "this is why you shouldn't spank" quote. As if the only people who abuse children are people that spank. And I have seen this repeatly...child abuse labeled spanking.

Sorry for the lanuage but I am a teacher and I dispise child abusers more then anyone else in the world. I perfer killers to child abusers.

Iamasinglemom99

Asked by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't know. It should be said more like '...what he said was from a spanking' How the accused preserves it is important to the story but it can also look misleading as you pointed out.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I'm with you, it's sickning!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I am a firm believer in spanking and I think it's a slap in the face to us who spank.  I don't abuse my children, they get swats, not bruises and red marks and stuff like that. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i agree with houston, i have never abused my child but i will spank if i have to. labeling it as such really gives spankers a bad rap
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I hope you're not an English teacher.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• ~*Sigh*~... I have to think my heart would have thought more about that poor child that was hit that hard, and in all honesty wouldn't be thinking of the grammical error or spanking versus abusing? I know with it being pointed out, I fully agree... but my thinking would have been more towards that child than daddy! Because depending on the age, it can be cycled down to their children... "anger control" issues?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I hate that. That is wrong and is child abuse. I hate when people say my open hand short pop to the butt is the same as what this gross nasty man did. Something is really wrong if you have to go there with spankings.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 7:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• We've spanked my son on occasion- and he's NEVER had a single bruise on his body from it. You have to hit a small child really hard to leave a bruise or a welt. If you hit (no matter where on the body!) your child enough to leave marks and bruises it's not discipline- it's abuse.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• thats phisical abuse with evidence
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:40 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• The media has its moments of ignorance , or rather the people who write and script this nonsense do.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2011