What do I do about my preteen attitude?

scmedicalasst

Asked by scmedicalasst at 5:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Pray girl, just pray.... First you didnt go wrong... These kids have no sense of respect anymore, and they not afraid of anything...I went through the same thing with dd (she never hit me) but the attitude, restriction didnt work, taking her things didnt work. Finally I just told her I was done with her, I was taking the same attitude she as taking with us about her...When I made plans for the family they did not include her (she got to stay with older siblings).. As for her clothes she had to shop at the Goodwill...I basically let her know that our lives were going to go on with or withour her.....She has now become a child that I like again....Good luck
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I always ask my 11 year old if she wants a "bitch war". I tell her that I've been here longer than her & I can & always will be bigger than her. She will NEVER be able to beat me. I refuse to be afraid of my own child. This is ONLY MY OPINION!!!! EVERYONE HAS TO MAKE THEIR OWN DECISION FOR THEIR OWN FAMILY!!!!
    darmika

Answer by darmika at 6:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I let my DH tell her what was what. And he is pretty rough with description and the lenght of his lectures.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 5:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Take away everything she loves, and if she has a cell phone then get rid of it... IMO people are raising entitled brats, and it's getting out of hand. JMO, I'm not saying she's a brat, it's just a generalization of kids today. Make her earn the things she loves with proving to you that she can keep a good attitude. That means material things, and fun with friends, school activities, etc....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• boot camp
    Anonymous

• That is the issue she is a brat. She slapped me on Valentines day and thing got ugly after. My DH called the police on her and the ordered me to spank her. I then took everything away and made her clean the entire house. Where did I go wrong with this child.
    scmedicalasst

Comment by scmedicalasst (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• That means material things She got to earn stuff and give respect to parents. and you must keep teaching her homes and family rules or codes.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 6:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• These are all great advice. Thank you for sharing with me.
    scmedicalasst

Comment by scmedicalasst (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• be super strict!!!! i was such a rebel with a bad attitude and i never EVER got discipline. i felt lack of love due to never having rules or anything. its ok if she hates you now for it, she will thank you and love you later for it i promise!!! by strict i mean pinpoint the problem behavior RIGHT WHEN IT HAPPENS, ground her and tell her exactly why she is being grounded and have her write an apology letter. say its unexeptable and the world is harsh so no one will take her attitude in the real world, so your trying to fix it while you can BECAUSE YOU LOVE HER! tough love is the best gift :) its normal too her hormones are raging! so good luck and dont get down on yourself, im sure you are a great mom
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 4:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• spank her and when she hits you have a chart about 4 hits take away any want and make her wear flowery clothes that she hates take away the clothes that she loves and have some spare clothes that she hates then on the 4th strike make her wear them cute becauseclothes are a want i did that and do it with my kids right now jason has it hannah is about to get it
    rave88

Answer by rave88 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2011