What to do with this hair?

My daughter is of bi-racial race: Mexican and American. I have somewhat wavy hair and her dad has wavy hair and she has the curliest, driest, frizziest hair I have ever EVER seen. It is so hard to manage, I'm to the point where I just wanna take her to get it relaxed. It's apparent that her hair is long when I wash it, but it is just a big ole' afro full of curls! Her hair is GORGEOUS but soooo hard to manage. Suggestions?

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• get it braided?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• keep her with natural hair until 13 -15 years old, depend on her managment to care for her alone.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 5:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• argon oil and healthy sex hair leave in conditioner
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I bet there are shampoos/ conditioners you can use to help with how crazy it is. Try straightening it maybe at home? I would try to keep her hair as natural as possible until it is her choice to change it how she wants. Maybe the crazy curly afro fuzz is cute! lol
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 5:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I would go to a salon and have them teach you how to manage her curls so they are cute and bouncy rather than frizzy. I don't now how you care for her hair now but you might want to try washing her hair daily (at least with water and some conditioner... maybe not shampoo every day) that will help tame the frizz and make it easier to get through the tangles. Get some leave in conditioner if you don't have it already and see if you can find some moroccan oil... it's wonderful for curls. Never use a brush on her hair, just a pick.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Ooops....didn't know I wasn't supposed to use a brush on her hair.
    proudmom2510

Comment by proudmom2510 (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My son is black and I am white. Learning to care for his curly tight hair has been a challenge and also fun. We wash his hair once every two weeks and sometimes can go longer. Because he has no moisture/oil in his hair, it can get very dry, we make sure to have his product in his hair each morning and each night before bed. We don't use a brush. We have combs and picks plus. But the biggest help has been from a local salon that does hair like his every day. They recently put his hair in twists and we plan on braiding soon. The owner is teaching me how to briad and style his hair. She is taking me under her wing. All I can say is that it helps to go to the people who know how to work with the type of hair your child has. It is worth every single penny. And eventually I will be able to go less often and do the styles at home.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2011