Is anyone following the hot sauce mom story from Dr. Phil? That video made me cringe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Last a read she was charged with child abuse.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• *I
    Simplicity3

• I saw the video and cried! However I am not following the story.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I wonder if she's related to the mom from the Child Called It. It's heartbreaking what people will put their children through.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The things some people do to children is just heartbreaking.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yet so many moms on this site have endorsed hot sauce as disipline. I find it grossly abusive and for all children who experienced this.....very sad. I'm glad it has the public attention and perhaps will become less of a standard punishment. I can't tell you the dozens of posts advocating how this works so well.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

How is hot sauce even close to the story of a child called it??? and i doubt she was charged with child abuse, if the story is based off of hot sauce.. she needs parenting classes not her child taken away...
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

First of all, I agree. I can promise you the man from A child called It wishes all he got was hot sauce. Not even remotely on the same playing field. Second of all, this mom poured hot sauce down the child's throat. That is abusive and she fully deserves to have her children taken away. What women on this site have advocated for is placing A DROP of hot sauce on a child's tongue. There's a HUGE difference. Beating your child is abusive, a swat across the bottom 1 time open handed is not. Hot sauce is a condiment, many children like it, but not when its poured down their mouth. No one likes that.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Any time a child is tortured, and even a drop of hot sauce is torture, that is abusive.  To instill fear in a child is no way to parent.  It is a sick abuse of power and not a condiment.  A condiment is meant for food to enhance the flavor.  Hot sauce as punishment is meant to instill fear and pain.  It is a barbaric and desperate thing to do to a child.  To defend such actions is horrid and an utter failure to recognize the suffering of a small child who can't defend themselves from the person who is supposed to be the ones to love and protect them.  The parent who is supposed to use compassionate guidance when a poor choice or mistake was made.  There is absolutely no compassion in placing hot sauce in the mouth of a child.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The article that I found mentioned a lot more than hot sauce, some of the other situations are what brought the story to my mind. And, yes, what this woman is doing is abuse.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2011