Is she a bad person because she had an abortion?

DDemocratic California Rep. Jackie Speier opened up about her abortion on the House floor on Thursday night during a debate on a proposed amendment that would cut federal funds for Planned Parenthood.

A debate about stripping Planned Parenthood of taxpayer money got personal on Thursday night when Democratic Rep. Jackie Speier revealed on the House floor that she'd once had an abortion herself.

Before the California congresswoman spoke, New Jersey Republican Rep. Chris Smith -- a fierce opponent of abortion -- gave a graphic account of abortions that he read from a book.

Speier then stepped up to the mic and said she wouldn't deliver her planned remarks because "the gentleman from New Jersey just put my stomach in knots."

"I'm one of those women he spoke about just now," the 60-year-old said, explaining that she had an abortion at 17 weeks' gestation because of medical complications. 

"That procedure that you talked about was a procedure I endured. I lost a baby. But for you to stand on this floor and to suggest, as you have, that somehow this is a procedure that is either welcomed or done cavalierly or done without any thought is preposterous," she added.

The emotional speech came as the debate went into its third hour.

Planned Parenthood is prohibited from using federal funds to perform abortions, but Republican Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana is leading a move, supported by the GOP, to add an amendment that would defund the organization.

A vote on the Pence amendment is expected Friday.

Pence referred to a sting video made last year by an anti-abortion group showing two people posing as a prostitute and a pimp seeking help from a Planned Parenthood clinic. They received advice about abortions for underage, illegal immigrant sex workers.

"As the father of two teenage daughters, there are not words strong enough to portray my contempt of this pattern of apparent fraud and abuse by Planned Parenthood," Pence said, as reported by CBS.

Speier called the amendment a "vendetta" against Planned Parenthood.

"Planned Parenthood has a right to operate," she said. "Planned Parenthood has a right to provide services for family planning. Planned Parenthood

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No, she is not a bad person because she got an abortion.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 6:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Of course not. Abortion is a very personal decision. If you don't believe in abortion (or gay marriage), then you should not have one

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• No she isn't, I feel her pain and sorrow. You can tell after all these years she still hurts because of it.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• "I'm one of those women he spoke about just now," the 60-year-old said, explaining that she had an abortion at 17 weeks' gestation because of medical complications."

***
    Naturally, I'd be interested to know what EXACTLY her "medical complications" were that were able to be detected at 17 weeks gestation, some 25 - 35 years ago (assuming this complication happened when the now 60 year old was 25 to 35 years old???) I don't know much about this congresswoman, how old she was at the time, whether or not she was married, etc., but something doesn't sound right. JMHO!

I say this because even if I were told my child would not live long outside the womb, I would still carry to term, and relish in the time I had with my child. IF this Congresswoman had an ectopic (or similar) pregnancy and HER life was in danger, then I continue to maintain and support such an EXCEPTION.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I believe women seek that alternative for a varierty of personal and/or medical reasons. We should be glad they have a safe sterile enviroment & not some unsterile, barbaric back alley procedure before Roe V Wade. I dont judge her or any woman for making such a painful decision. As long as it's not used as birth control (which I'm sure the majority who have it done once wont be back for another), then I say we offer our support, not our harsh judgment.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Naturally, I'd be interested to know what EXACTLY her "medical complications" were that were able to be detected at 17 weeks gestation, some 25 - 35 years ago (assuming this complication happened when the now 60 year old was 25 to 35 years old???) I don't know much about this congresswoman, how old she was at the time, whether or not she was married, etc., but something doesn't sound right. JMHO!
    ___________________________
    LK: That's really NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS now is it?! This woman did not have to share her experience, but did for the sake of others. It was still her PERSONAL decision to make, even if it dffers from yours.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• No. Regardless of what the reasons were, I believe in and support every woman's right to exercise her choices. I actually personally know several people who advocate for the prolife stance, picket, etc., yet when they found themselves pregnant, chose to get an abortion. I also know far more women who are "pro choice" who would never consider abortion for themselves. I find it disgusting that someone would try and impose their beliefs on my body, as I would never impose my beliefs on theirs.

I am glad she spoke up. She puts a real face to a real problem.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 6:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It still will be legal you may have to pay a little more. What is the big deal.?

Maybe that now you have to pay you might be more careful?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I agree with gammie on this, abortion is still legal but now the tax payers aren't footing the bill for it. That's not a bad thing.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• LK: That's really NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS now is it?!

No, it ceased being anyone's personal business the second she volunteered it as a matter of the congressional record. She's not a bad person, but if her procedure was done for some compelling medical reason, she is also not representative of the majority, either. And if she's lying because she thinks she will be judged less harshly, she's pretty much shooting her own credibility in the foot.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2011