4 year girl uses diapers for any accident at night.When should i shoul discontinue emergency diapers?

GlitteribonMom

Asked by GlitteribonMom at 6:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Some children can't help it. It is a medical issue, I would leave her in pull ups as long as it takes. My 6 yr old still wears them and it makes no difference. It is only preventing you from loads and loads of laundry. None of them will get married and still be wearin pull ups to bed. LOL Relax and let her be a 4 yr old.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I disagree. My husband had accidents until he was 9. My 9 year old and 4 year old still BOTH have accidents. It is embarrassing for them. They dont want to do it. They have both said they sleep so deeply they dont wake up until its over. We have water proof mattress covers which I just clorox after. My 4 year old wears pull ups to bed bc it happens so frequently. We actually saw a doctor on Wednesday and they said not to worry about my 4 year old at this time. Hes still young. However they told me to buy the bell thing for my 9 year old. It goes off once the first bit of wetness touches it or something. Good luck. Youre not alone.
    FDNYwife

Answer by FDNYwife at 6:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• wait, she's 4 and still wearing diapers to bed? When all of mine potty trained, I simply got rid of the diapers. if they have them, they will use them. Take them away, you'll have a couple accidents and be done with it.
    What is teh point of getting up when you can stay in bed and pee without consequence?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I agree...take them away. Give her her last drink at least two hours before bedtime.

Buy a waterproof mattress pad instead.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Oh and I dont give my child drinks an hour before bed and it has made no difference.
    FDNYwife

Answer by FDNYwife at 6:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Sorry, I got interrupted as I was answering this and didn't finish. The 4 yr old I would def. keep in pullups if it is a constant thing. One thing we found really effective with the boys is about 1100pm before heading to bed we got them up and took them in to go pee. Many times they were barely awake. Eventually they begin to get up on their own to go about that time every night. It worked for us anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I only left mine in a diaper/pullup at night until they had been dry for a couple weeks all night long. The only time mine ever had accidents was when they were sick. Save yourself a lot of stink and money. Go buy a waterproof mattress cover. Whether for potty avccidents, vomiting or when girls get old enough for their period. A $20 mattress cover is a lot less expensive than a mattress.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My step brother had accidents until he was almost a teen. (His was due to medication he was taking.) At 4 I don't see a problem with a pull up at night. Some children just aren't ready to wake up and go at night until a bit older. My 3 year old is potty trained day and night, but he did it on his own. When he was dry for a week or 2 with the pull ups we put him in underwear. He still had an accident or two, but hasn't had one in months now. Follow your child's cues- they'll let you know when they're ready.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• When she's consistently dry at night. DD turned 5 mid October, and we stopped night time pull ups on Halloween, by accident.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 20, 2011