Potty training a 39 month old with 2 younger siblings.... possible????

My oldest son a little over 3 years old is being stubborn on potty training. He has a 4 month old brother and a 20 month old sister so its so hard to make him stop with the diapers all the way.... I let him pick a "snack" to get after everytime he goes and let him pick out underwear. He was all into for about 4 days and then quit I can't get him to go back to doing it he totally refuses.... HELLLLPPPP please...

ILuvMaFam2011

Asked by ILuvMaFam2011 at 6:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He'll get there. It is not uncommon for a child to be 4 when they are successful. Just keep on suggesting, rewarding, and not stressing. He will do well and then back off. Do well and then back off. There is no use in you or he worrying about it too much. If you provide the potty and hugs, he'll get himself there when he is ready.
    By the way, congrats on getting this far! You have alot on your plate and you are awesome!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• aww ty soo much yea he did the same thing about 2 he wanted to sooo bad and then he just stopped. I am hoping one day he will just wake up and say I don't wanna wear diapers anymore. And I might be shocked hopefully lol if he does and we get him trained in less than a week.
    ILuvMaFam2011

Comment by ILuvMaFam2011 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Every child potty trains at his own speed. My oldest (5) was 38 months (seems so weird to be using months at this age) before he was completley potty trained and my mom was horrified that it took me so long to potty train him. She had 5 kids and all of us were potty trained at 1!!!!! My second son who is now 38 months has been completley potty trained for 5 months, but the day after his second birthday he wakes up in the morning and says mommy I have to go poo! I take him in the bathroom and he goes poo. I had not even worked with him before that. He never pooped in his pants after that. So we went 9 months not having to change a poopy diaper but I couldn't get him to pee with any regularity on the potty until 5 months ago. Keep trying, I know it is frustrating especially when other parents have all these wonderful stories of their 2 year olds being a dream but every child develops on their own.
    barboys2

Answer by barboys2 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2011