"Shut that child up already"

We've all witnessed moments where a child is acting out. Temper tantrums in the grocery store, The loud child on the airplane, etc etc

Have you become more tolerant and understanding when you see a toddler having a meltdown and a mother trying to do everything to calm them with no success? How has becoming a parent changed your opinions/attitude towards these situations ?

kayslay

Asked by kayslay at 7:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• It has not. My kids did not have fit/meltdowns in public. I am not talking about babies. sometimes their is nothuing you can do about a baby crying.

Answer by louise2 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Definately. Being a mom has taught me humility.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I've gone from completely intolerant to completely tolerant since having a child.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 7:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I never thought badly about it before. It is not a reflection of poor parenting. It is the child responding to his or her feelings. It may be that the kid is sick, tired, hungry, mad, or just having an out of sorts moment. Plus that child may live with autism or some other disorder where the situation may not be something they can handle at the moment. I choose to believe parents do the best they can in each moment.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It depends on the situation. I have seen where a baby will start crying hysterically and the mom doesn't even check to see if the baby needs a diaper change or anything. Just looks at the baby and goes back to what she is doing and 5-10 min later the baby is still crying. I tolerate the baby's crying but not the mom who failed to make sure that all the baby's needs were met. I understand that some babies just cry for no reason but you still have to make sure it isn't something as simple as needing a diaper change or a feeding.
    cdnmom24

Answer by cdnmom24 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• yes and no. I can understand that these things happen, they are just kids.
    what got me was at one point I was somewhere and a couple had their baby in a playpen, when it started crying they just laughed when people came to tell them.
    They intended to just let the baby cry when everyone else was trying to have a good time.

then there was the opposite when I was at a camping get together and asked someone why this one woman was acting so strange. Turned out that she was staying up all night just in case her baby started to cry. She didn't want him to cry at all and disturb anyone everyone who was camping with is knew there was to be a baby. I certainly didn't expect a little baby to never cry.
    Anonymous

• Nope, if anything, I've become LESS tolerant because my kids were never allowed to act that way. Babies are one thing, because crying is their only means of communication. I'm talking about toddlers and even older children who should know better.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I agree with sunshine. My son has never behaved that way in public. Tatrums are a sign of a disrespectful child who has not been shown manners nor the proper way to communicate thier feelings.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

Thank you!!!! Usually I get ripped apart when I make comments like that!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

Not buying that your son is perfect and never had a meltdown or been rude in public, and have you ever thought that some children have disabilities and dont know how to express them selves??? sounds like a bull shit answer to me...
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2011