How can i make my son gain as much weight as possible?

My son has a cleft palate, nd in order for the surgeon to be able to fix it my son has to gain a bit more weight. Ive tried everythin, but hes not gainin as much as i want him to! He currently weighs 15.4 pounds. He has an appoinment on March 2nd nd i really want him to be just a bit close to 17pounds! That would be amazing. Any suggestions???

Dulce1023

Asked by Dulce1023 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• OMG I had the exact same issue. my daughter was born with PRS resulting in a cleft pallate. She had FTT for the first 5 months of her life. She would eat every 2-3 hours like normal but would only eat one bottle full before she had enough (roughly 2 oz if i remember) The solution for us (at her doctors suggestion) was to just make her formula more dense. Instead of 1 scoop ever 2 oz we did a scoop and a half. She started gaining. We also woke her up at night to feed so she would be sure to be fed every 2-3 hours.

Check with your doctor first though obviously
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 7:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Is there a childs version of ensure? I don't know, but I know thats what my dad did when he wanted to gain weight. Good luck.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• did your daughter get her palate fixed? nd yea his dietitions told me to put more similac then water. he has to get 700 calories a day plus baby food. when he was 5months he had to get hospitalized because he was only 10pounds. He turns a year next month nd his weight isnt right. They also told me to feed him at night like they told you!! so i hope that will work. thanks!
    Dulce1023

Comment by Dulce1023 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• yep my daughter was hospitalized at 4 months. Her palate wasn't fixed until 18 months. I know typically they do it at around 6-8 months but due to her having PRS which causes her to have a small set back lower jaw they had to wait till her jaw grew out enough to make the repair or else she could have suffered breathing difficulties. It really cause complications with her speech development but I'd rather that than her suffocate in her sleep. We used enfamil at a rate of 1.5 scoops for every 2 oz of water. We also gave her baby cereal made with formula not water and spoon fed it to her.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 7:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2011