My husband is 14 years my senior and will be turning 50 this summer. We have a five year old and a two year old. Nubby is losing his patience all the time...snaps on the kids for little things, especially my son. Do you think that because he's older he has less patience for younger kids? He won't go to consoling and I'm worried about what the nastiness and negativity may be doing to my kids

jjfleisher

Asked by jjfleisher at 7:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• My husband is only 7 years my senior (35) and he is the same was lately. He is constantly snipping at our son (will be 5 on 2-25) for the wierdest little things. He was maybe 7 feet from us at the food store today and my husband took his videogames away....
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 7:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yes, I agree but somehow you have to get thru to him. Maybe show him examples of his temper and tell him see how I acted now that wasn't good maybe it will create such or such a problem for the child. If he answers then tell him see thats what youve been doing do you think I should handle it differently... Maybe itll work.
    twinpicks

Answer by twinpicks at 7:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I really don't think it's his age, most people I know tend to mellow with age. But it definitely could be his personality, some people just have shorter fuses than others. My ex was too hard on my kids and we're no longer together, I left when the kids were little. He was verbally abusive to me, but it was the way he dealt with the children that bothered me more.

Answer by missanc at 7:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If this is something new in his behavior, maybe if you approach it from a concern for his medical well-being. Have him checked for his hormone levels while you're at it. I hope he will listen for everyones sake. This will not only cause problems for the kids, but in your marriage too b/c it will eventually drive a wedge between you. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Your husband sounds depressed; this has nothing to do with age. If he won't go to counseling, then you should go, to learn how to deal with him

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My hub is 49 and no he certainly does not act like that.  I don't think it has anything to do with age.  In fact, maybe just the oposite.  I always thought that with time came wisdom and patience.  Period point blank, they are your children also and they are suffering because of him.  Tell him to make a choice to change it or that you guys are better off alone.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Well 60 is kind of old to have small children and since you do you both have to deal with it. I'm sure he loves them but he is probably thinking (what was I thinking having kids at my age) usually at 60 you are visiting grandchildren.
    Hopefully all will get better he can''t give them away so he needs to find a way to deal with them.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2011